Lake Wissota Friday evening

• bigpike
    Participant

Well I’ve been hearing lots of good things about Wissota so I had to take the kids and give it a try, honestly I wasn’t expecting much with a Northeast wind and colder conditions, the water temp is mid 50’s right now and the fish are pretty darn active, we caught walleyes and crappies any where from right off shore on the edges of brush to out in 15′ of water. Nothing big on the walleyes but generally nice size crappies. My daughter lost a pretty big fish that snapped her line, probably a pike or muskie. We fished off of points and bays up the Yellow river area around the state park and kamp kenwood, get out and give it a try it should only keep improving. Also good numbers of walleye are to be had below the Wissota dam, you wont find to many over the 18″ slot but if you want to catch #’s this would be the place to go!

jld235
    Participant
    Eau Claire

Hey BigPike. I’ve heard great reports from some of the locals this past week. I’m headed out tomorrow to see if I can’t get in on some of the action. Thanks for the great report. I’ll let you know how I faired. I assume you were using leeches for the Eye’s but what was the ticket for crappies??? Plastics?? Minnows??? Thanks and good luck.

JD

bigpike
    Participant

Actually all I fished with was fatheads, I’m heading out now for about 6 hours so hopefully I can expand a little on how things are going.

bigpike
    Participant

The weather was great toady but the fish seemed a little off, the crappies are the only reliable bite, the water temp has hit 60 and the crappies could come in shallow any day, I caught them from 20′ to right against the shore. They will be up close soon in a big way if this weather holds…..

kkeoth
    Participant
    Eau Claire

I was just wondering where about you where getting the crappies and what you where fishing them with? i am new to this lake. im thinking about heading up there later this week any help would be great.
    thanks
    -kyle

bigpike
    Participant

slip bobbers with fatheads in the yellow river area, from the landing at the state park towards the yellow river on the north shore, stillson creek would be good to try also or any where on little wissota, watch guys out there and if you see them catching move a ways down and cast the same way….this should get you going.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.