Oct. Musky Update

• aaron
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Sunday morning Musky Report! The fish are still hot on the sucker bite. I got out at first light today with good friend Shane McLaughlin. We were not 15 minutes into the first run when Shane hooked up on this fat 42 incher. 15 minutes later Shane is hooked up again with a hog. He gets the fish to the boat as it is letting go of his sucker. Just like last we this fish drops his rig and grabs onto mine. This was the big fish of the day at 47 inches. We ran into Musky Bob guiding a few rookies and got the pleasure of watching these guys land there first musky ever at 42inches. This fish also taken on the sucker rig. Congrats to guys and thier first big Toothy Critter A few more weeks until ice on. If you are lucky enough to be able to take part in this great bite remember, no sucker is to big.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Flippin’ cool! I’ve never caught a big ski on a sucker but I’ve heard stories from buddies about how intense it gets when a big fish comes up and slams a 18″+ sucker next to the boat. A-Dren-a-LIN rush for sure!

stuart
    Participant
    Mn.

Great fish! This is the time of year for the sucker bite, thats for sure.Took a friend a few years back and he commented on the size of bait I got,said he eats smaller eyes than those suckers.
    Hope this fall keeps being warm.Screw ice fishing!

mikehd
    Participant
    Dousman, WI

Nice, very nice. First time in many years Bret and I didn’t get up nort around Hayward to drag some suckers around. Sure missed it too.

Ron Johnsen
    Participant
    Platteville wi

Nice fish

Jason Sullivan
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Awesome fish!

What were you reading for water temp?

aaron
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Water temp last week was 53 and I was reading 46 this week. I am sure the rain Sunday dropped it a few more as well. If this keeps up we will have ice by deer season. I have mixed feeling about hard water I like to ice fish but I love the open water.

aaron
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Water temp started at 43 in the shallower areas and 46 on the big lake. The bite that has been so good for the past few weeks seems to have changed. I spent a good part of the day soaking suckers in the shallow bays of the Yellow. There was nothing going on at all in these locations. Later i spent a little time outside the Yellow still in the shallows but much clore to deeper water. There are a ton of fish showing up off the big bar in the channel. We had a few takers near the mouth of the Yellow, but we were not able to get a hook in them. Alot of guys fishing musky right now. Maybe one more trip out this year

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.