Wissota

• bigpike

I noticed the Wissota link is gone, now that I found this sight (the lake side ) I was hoping to post more on this lake. Any chance it will return? I was out there ice fishing today and its a hit miss proposition. Last week a friend did good off the view in 30-40′ one day, the fish shut off the next. Today we got out for a few hours and the fish were lathargic at best. The ice is very soild and 30″ thick, even with the warm weather coming I would venture to say fishing will be possible through the weekend at the very least. Also I have a report of 1# gils coming through this pond in the last week, but you’ll have to go find them yourself. If I was to be told were these gils are coming from I would have to give my life . So I’m still here The crappies coming off the view area are very nice in size when you hit the right day or area, if I had more time I would of moved around more today looking for active fish because they certainly are there.

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Wow! I didn’t realize it was gone! I have been pretty busy lately. Haven’t had much time to post, just pop in & check the boards and didn’t even notice it was gone. Glad you found the lakeside bigpike. I have never ice fished Wissota, but manage to get there chasing smallies once & a while.

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I would like the wissota forum to come back as well. I think this summer it will get used a lot more. Thanks

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

I’m checking on the status of the forum. Will let you guys know what I find out.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

You can still get to it, you just gotta go to, ‘Jump To A Forum’ I think.

Its on the bottom of this page. Should help you guys out a little.

bigpike

There is a very good population of 10-14″ crappie in Wissota, and recently with the lake drawdown now non exsistant the bluegill population is taking off. The best thing to do is fish all the fallen timber and brush in the lake once the weather warms and they came in to do there thing. Catching crappies and walleyes are pretty easy all summer long around cribs, NSP island, Yellow river area etc. with slip bobbers and minnows.

Don Hanson

Thanks for the info. Do you ever get after right after ice out?

bigpike

No I haven’t I’ve only lived in the area for 5 years, and really started learning about the area lakes in the last two. I can ask around, that seems to be the way to go, the more questions you ask of the locals- guys that have fished here there whole lives, the more info I get, never the whole picture mind you but bits and pieces that I put together and then try myself. With the size of crappies and numbers I’d like to give it a try. What areas should I look for right after iceout. Do they come in shallow for a short time like big bluegils can?

Don Hanson

It would be best to start looking in deeper water close to traditional spawning areas.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.