Wissota Ice Update

• Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

We are nearly ice free. Landing by S bridge is open launching. Rod and Gun Club, as expected, is still iced in.

Sully

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Lets go!!

bigpike

That water is smokin over the spillway, I am guessing that is Jim Falls???

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

That water is smokin over the spillway, I am guessing that is Jim Falls???

I took that photo at the dam on the west side of the big lake. It was really raging last week. I should have taken that picture. Here is a picture of what it looked like down stream.

Sully

raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

Now that gets a guy fired up, thanks for that!!!

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Made a trip around the lake today.

There is still large sheets of floating ice on the south side of the big lake, but I expect it will be gone by this weekend.

Most of the ice is gone on the Paint Creek arm of the little lake.

A little bit of shore ice at the Lafayette landing across from The View.

It’s iced up pretty good on the Stillson Creek arm. That ice may not be gone till early next week.

Sully

aaron
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Just about all of the big and small lake are now open and Yellow River is clear of ice. Keep an eye out for floating logs, stumps, and ice chunks. I saw a few huge trees floating down stream from the K bridge on Wed. Just a few more weeks till opener

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I saw someone with a tip-up today that was camped out behind The Edge.

Sully

aaron
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Ice is just starting to form on the small lake. With any luck it will close up tonight. As of 9am today there was still waves on the big lake. Most of the Yellow has ice.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Ice is starting to come off the lake. We made a lot of progress in the last day.

These are taken off the Old Abe Trail bridge.

It’s possible I could have my boat wet on Wissota next week.

bigpike

You must be on the Chip looking out over the bridge / marina. Man it sure looks like an early spring Sully. Was down in Alma yesterday and fishing was very slow but was saw a nice 8# eye caught in front of us on a crank! I hooked and caught a 40″+ sturgeon. Maybe 10 fish for the whole day but the bait shop in Alma was out of minnows until 3 in the afternoon

aaron
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I am not sure I would drive out
    How does the Yellow look near the K-bridge?
    I just made a spot in my freeze for the big spring crappies

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

I am not sure I would drive out
    How does the Yellow look near the K-bridge?
    I just made a spot in my freeze for the big spring crappies

I’ll drive over there on Monday and post some pictures.

It’s really starting to open up even more since I posted those pics. It would have been fun to have a webcam to show the progress yesterday.

Sully

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

These are out by the Rod and Gun Club. They are about ready to drop.

Chippman
    Chippewa County, Wi

My kid was out there this afternoon and saw the ice tip and some cribs slide in very cool.

herrberg

Hi All,

Got the itch to go get familiar with the new boat today. Put in at the landing by the S bridge. Launch was easier than i expected.

Went up river just about to Mallards – open water the whole way. Large sheets of ice mysteriously anchored in odd places.

Met one guy who had his waders on pushing ice off from his shoreline – said the sheets were about 8-10″ thick yet.

Was eery out there today, ice sheets in random places, but air temps of 80degrees.

South of the S bridge water seemed open for a while, prob halfway to the channel leading to the park. Wouldn’t trust that side though – was still all iced about 200yds out from shore on both sides.

The boat ran great, my buddy was floored by what Ipilot can do for you in regards to boat control. Spotlock is something that will be a game changer for me.

Water temps were between 34.5 and 35.6 depending on where we were. A bit too cold yet. Might be warmer up north by Jim Falls, but in and around the golf course / s bridge that was the temps.

Taker easy guys,
    berg

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Here is a look from the golf course landing today.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Golf course landing is open as soon as the wind pushes the ice away. Amazing how conditions change in one day.

aaron
    Chippewa Falls, WI

If you took your time dodging ice chunks you could get a boat from the Yellow all the way up the Chippewa. By the end of the day on Monday I think the north side should be wide open. I would bet no ice by opener other then the north facing bays on the south end. This opener is setting up to be historic. That is if you like to catch easy to target spawning pike and walleye in shallow water.

bigpike

Quote:

If you took your time dodging ice chunks you could get a boat from the Yellow all the way up the Chippewa. By the end of the day on Monday I think the north side should be wide open. I would bet no ice by opener other then the north facing bays on the south end. This opener is setting up to be historic. That is if you like to catch easy to target spawning pike and walleye in shallow water.

I like catching easy to target spawning pike and walleye in shallow water

bigpike

Quote:

Golf course landing is open as soon as the wind pushes the ice away. Amazing how conditions change in one day.

Thank You for the timely update Jason

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

The Rod and Gun landing is closed up for the year and the bay is iced up.

Attachments:
    1. 2014-11-12-15.48.08.jpg

Bryan Myers

I was excited to see the ice in the rod and gun today as well except I couldn’t get a boat in to run it. It won’t be long before we have some walking ice!

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

The landing by the golf course is still open. A few boats used that landing yesterday.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

There is still some ice on the Little Lake that is not suitable for vehicle traffic. I drilled a hole in a non-current effected area yesterday that was only 10.5″. Not enough ice for a large pick-up in my book.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.