Wisconsin river access

• shawnil
    Participant

Curious, are there any sections you would recommend as navigable without a jet boat? I was thinking south of Prairie du Sac…I know lake Wisconsin has a lot of boaters…

Also, not sure if there’s any special requirements for stickers/out-of-state boats.

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

The waters south of the dam at Prairie du Sac has some navigable water for deep v style boats but not a lot.
    You can basically run from the boat landing upstream to the dam or downstream to the bottom edge of Eagle island. (including the sand bar island below Eagle island)
    The stretch of river from the sand bar island down to Sauk City is not what I would call navigable water in a deep v style boat.

If you launch from the boat landing just above the old railroad bridge in Sauk City, you can run upstream 1/4 mile above the old wingdam and downstream a hundred yards or so below the railroad bridge. Going below the first rock bar below the railroad bridge in a deep v style boat would not be wise.

For reference, I grew up on this stretch of the river and recently bought a jon boat just for this purpose.

As for special stickers, none needed that I’m aware of.

shawnil
    Participant

Thanks… I’m shallow V small motor. That’s actually a bit of a drive for me, but we cross at Merrimac all the time on the way up to Devil’s Lake and I don’t know anything about the river downstream from there. Except that from what I’ve seen it sure looks fishy!

Chuck Melcher
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

A lot of fishy water south of the Dells as well. If I had a smaller boat I would be at it more… knowing I could get unstuck, and to the right areas easier.

I put in around the dells area and kayak a good portion down 2/3rds the way to Portage – and love the area. I’d love to have a shallow, “river” light boat/ motor anywhere from Lake WI north.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.