Wiring help on a 3 way illuminated toggle switch

• mrpike1973

I put my Livescope on my boat and took it out of the portable ice pack. On the ice pack I have a illuminated switch left it in there is 3 terminals as follows ground, Ac in middle and hot(battery). Ground to ground, ac goes to livescope unit (accessory), hot goes to battery positive. I made a separate wiring for the boat still using the small portable batteries. However I bought a 12 volt 20 amp illuminated rocker switch. This one only works when the Ac in the middle goes to the battery(positive) and the end one battery goes to the accessory. Meaning the 2 hot wires are switched. It works fine shouldn’t be an issue should it? I have fuses to the black box and from the battery. I bought 2 more switches of different kinds and the same thing with the 2 hot wires switched. Any fire hazard here? The battery will be disconnected while storing. Only difference I noticed is the wiring is very light on the ice pack.

Tlazer

Hopes this reply helps and don’t be offended if you already know some of this and I hope I answer your question. The reason for the ground/negative on the switch is so the light in the switch will work when the switch is in the on or closed position. The 12v 20A switch is fine since it is rated for 12v and can handle 20Amps of current meaning you could use it for a light bar on a SXS. One terminal on the switch is for the power from the fuse/battery. The fuse protects the unit and could be before or after the switch, but should be before the switch. Then if you switch is on and doesn’t light up you know either the fuse is blown or you have a wiring problem to the switch. The power wire to the switch should not cause the switch to light up. The other terminal goes to the unit and the light in the switch is also hooked to this terminal internally. So when the switched is closed/on power will go to the unit and also the light in the switch. You are correct in only the “hot” wires are switched and there shouldn’t be any fire hazard. Hope this helps.

mrpike1973

Tlazer that was absolutely the best answer I could have hoped for! Thank you so much. I was so worried that the 2 wires switched would be a problem it works fine.
    I’m assuming the switch is wired internally different some how. Thanks again. Heard stories many people could not start there motors after using livescope. I thought using it like an ice shuttle but with the wiring only 2 foot away from the black box and head unit should work fine with little amp draw

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.