Winterizing a pressure washer

• ssaamm
    Participant
    Pequot Lakes

Any tips? Drain the water, stabilize the gas, anything else? Thanks

Kevin Yopp
    Participant

If you have a gas shut-off, turn it off and run it till it dies out.

Check to make sure the hoses are empty.

stevenoak
    Participant

They make a $10 aerosol/ antifreeze can to winterize pump. But not sure its necessary.. My pump seems to self drain.

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

They make a $10 aerosol/ antifreeze can to winterize pump. But not sure its necessary.. My pump seems to self drain.

Not only antifreeze but it also lubes the pump. Only takes a small shot to fully flush and lube the pump. I’m on three seasons now from the same can and still have quite a bit left in the can. Well worth it IMHO
    I also disconnect the hose from the pump and the wand from the hose. Lube all the “o-rings” and quick connects (if present)

Jeremy
    Participant
    Richland County, WI

I just put it in the basement

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I drain water. Run it out of gas and let it sit in the corner of my garage. I’ve had my ryobi with honda motor for 5 years now.

ssaamm
    Participant
    Pequot Lakes

Thanks for the responses. Ive got a plan

Tom P.
    Participant
    Whitehall Wi.

As mentioned above but I also use a short hose and fill with RV antifreeze and just hand pull it thru the pump.

ssaamm
    Participant
    Pequot Lakes

Good idea

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

If the machine doesn’t have a gas shutoff valve, it is usually easy to add one. If there is more than 2 inches of exposed fuel line between the tank and the carb, add an inline shutoff valve.

I add so many shutoff valve to equipment I fix that I buy them 20 at a time. It saves endless hassle if you just shut off the fuel and run the engine dry.

MX1825
    Participant

That’s what I used to do. New house and heated garage this year. wink

If the machine doesn’t have a gas shutoff valve, it is usually easy to add one. If there is more than 2 inches of exposed fuel line between the tank and the carb, add an inline shutoff valve.

I add so many shutoff valve to equipment I fix that I buy them 20 at a time. It saves endless hassle if you just shut off the fuel and run the engine dry.

This also. Run it dry. I also add an ounce of Stabil before I run it dry.

thalweg87
    Participant
    Eastern Iowa

To winterize the pump – I remove the pressure hose/wand, hook up a short piece of garden hose to the pump, pour a little RV antifreeze in the hose, ensure the ON/OFF switch is off and then slowly pull the starter rope a few times until RV antifreeze comes out.

abster71
    Participant
    crawford county WI

karcher makes a chemical that you screw on and cylcle the motor but not start till fluid comes out pressure side.

traumatized
    Participant
    eastern iowa

I use one of these and blow out the line. Called brass blow out plug, $6 on amazon.

Charles
    Participant

Glad I am no the only one that does that lol.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Dang this isn’t as easy as I thought!

I still can’t locate the gas shut off. Would be be close to where the power cord goes into the engine?

robby
    Participant
    Quad Cities

Pump Saver aerosol is a must. Winterize the engine as you would with any small motor.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Dang this isn’t as easy as I thought!

I still can’t locate the gas shut off. Would be be close to where the power cord goes into the engine?

mayhaps you don’t have a gas shut off valve??? I don’t on mine, it’s a Honda from Northern Tool.

I have a Sears Craftsman snow chucker, needed a tuneup once and the guy put one on.

I use RV antifreeze with a real short garden hose. Fog, with stabilizer and never had an issue.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

mayhaps you don’t have a gas shut off valve??? I don’t on mine, it’s a Honda from Northern Tool.

Me thinks the joke is that he has an electic pressure washer. wave

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ralph is a whiz with my humor of a 4 year old. Hopefully that doesn’t mean anything more then his kids are about 4 years old. )

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

8 and 10, actually. )

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.