Winter tire report

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I just installed dedicated winter tires today. I was going to wait for more drive time before reporting but since I was able to immediately compare to stock tires with the weather we just received I decided to mention it right away. Also in case anyone was considering them the time to buy them is just beginning. In a word, incredible. Where the stock tires instantly road on top of the deep slush these cut right through maintaining contact with the road. Traction on the hard pack was night and day different. I can’t wait to use them in all kinds of winter conditions. Also they drive better on pavement than the oem tires that came with my truck. Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2. I wish I hadn’t waited so many years before trying.

Deuces

I also love my snow tires. Different tires but the sense of security you get with em is priceless. Don’t even think to worry about commuting when I hear anything less than 12-14″.

You’ll love em more with every snowfall toast

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I put blizzaks on the IDO truck every winter. There’s nothing better in my opinion.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

If you can’t afford to go full winter tire, make sure your tire has the mountain and snow flake (3pmsf) symbol. I just put Yokohama geolander a/t G015 and it’s been amazing…I can’t imagine the difference going to full winter but I bet it’s awesome.

pass0047
    Pool4

Sorry if stupid question but I assume you buy second set of rims so each set is mounted itself.

TipUpFishOn

Sorry if stupid question but I assume you buy second set of rims so each set is mounted itself.

Not a stupid question, some folks buy second set of wheels for their winter tires so they can just change out tires/wheels themselves. Others will go to tire shop and have their winter tires mounted on their regular wheels. Getting a second set of wheels is easier imo since changing out the sets on your vehicle yourself takes minutes.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I have been doing this for a long time. I really wanted to try the Nokian tires this time but could’t find any in stock so I went with blizzaks again on my new truck. I have Michelin X-ice 3 on the wifes all wheel drive SUV, those are great tires as well. I like the X’ice a little more than my Blizzaks because they have a couple wider channels for slush and puddles. They really work, just be careful not to get too confident.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Snow tires are an amazing thing. Even cheap ones are way better than your average all season tires. My old 2 wheel drive ford ranger would drive right around guys struggling to even move while out ice fishing. I used to drive all over the minimum maintenance roads north of DL in the winter too. As long as I had my shovel and chains as plan b I’d take the little truck anywhere.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I had Blizzaks on my Pontiac Sunfire and they made a big difference compared to normal street tires, same goes for the Dynapro ATM’s I have on my Jeep Liberty. I was driving in snow last year with the Liberty that was at least 8 inches in 2 wheel drive

riverruns
    Inactive

Are you running a dedicated winter tire on a 4 wheel drive truck? Only during winter months. Even though you have 4 wheel drive, adding a winter tire just dedicated to a 4 wheel drive truck makes it that much better?

I’m running General Altimax Artic 12 with studs on my cars in the winter. I guess I never thought of running dedicated winter tires on my truck.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I wish studs were legal in MN and WI, I would put them on as well.

riverruns
    Inactive

I wish studs were legal in MN and WI, I would put them on as well.

They are legal for me and they help. Studies argue with or without. I’ll take the studded tire anyday.

riverruns
    Inactive

Four wheel drive helps you accelerate.
    Snow tires help you stop and turn.

How does 4 wheel drive help you accelerate? My truck is 4 wheel drive, it doesn’t accelerate any faster in 2 wheel drive or 4 high or 4 low? If I’m in 4 wheel drive I’m not interested in acceleration.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>greig john wrote:</div>
    Four wheel drive helps you accelerate.
    Snow tires help you stop and turn.

How does 4 wheel drive help you accelerate? My truck is 4 wheel drive, it doesn’t accelerate any faster in 2 wheel drive or 4 high or 4 low? If I’m in 4 wheel drive I’m not interested in acceleration.

Snow and ice. You can accelerate much faster. Much.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I don’t know, my 4wd does wonders in icy and snowy conditions…accelerating, steering, stopping-just overall it’s 1000x better then not having it engaged. You guys sure you’re using your 4wd correctly? And yes, tires make a much bigger difference.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

4 wheel drive, plus manual stick shift.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

4×4 does help with steering on snow if your foot is on the throttle and not the brake, same as front wheel drive. I used the 4×4 in my Jeep a lot more when it had Wrangler STs on it as they are not a good snow tire. I had the Hankook Dynapro ATMs put on December 26 last year and the only issue I have with driving through snow is that is when it is deep enough to get to the crankshaft pulley that drives the serpentine belt

riverruns
    Inactive

4 wheel drive, plus manual stick shift.

And this means what too this winter tire discussion? I have a 2500 manual transmission truck with 4 wheel drive. Just wondering what you meant. Thanks.

Bassn Dan

Never understood people that run their 4×4 trucks with all-season car tires in the winter – which seems to be most people… A lot of “truck tires” look like they should be on a little old ladies’ Buick.

jld
    Holmen

For me winter tires is a cost issue. Two kids in college I don’t have $1500-$2000 lying around for tires that I will use 4-5 months of the year for one, let alone two vehicles. I get they will last a few years(I hope) but that luxury is not part of my budget now. Someday.

John Timm

Never understood people that run their 4×4 trucks with all-season car tires in the winter – which seems to be most people… A lot of “truck tires” look like they should be on a little old ladies’ Buick.

The thing is a lot of these 4×4 trucks never see it off road. They spend ost of their lives in the city.

John Timm

The thing is a lot of these 4×4 trucks never see it off road. They spend most of their lives in the city.

Deuces

For me winter tires is a cost issue. Two kids in college I don’t have $1500-$2000 lying around for tires that I will use 4-5 months of the year for one, let alone two vehicles. I get they will last a few years(I hope) but that luxury is not part of my budget now. Someday.

I get this, but when I made the choice to get Goodyear duratracs after rebate it was still only about $1100.

It’s not for everyone’s situations, but if you factor in possible money saved by deductibles not used bc of accidents, extra time you need to take to get to work, school, events etc bc you don’t have snow tires, possible tows off the ice, not putting the boat in late/early, being able to pull the kids car out of stuck spots, or strangers who need a strap, it becomes a much easier choice, since most tires will cost ya I’m guessing $5-700 anyways. An extra $3-400 made sense for me.

Bassn Dan

I agree it makes sense to not spend that much on a second set of tires when you have more important things going on. The A/T tires on my truck work well for year around use with less cost and hassle than having a second set of tires to swap out/store.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Exactly why I didn’t buy them all these years. I agree, a good set of AT tires are more than sufficient. Worked for me over 25 years. I wish tires weren’t so expensive so everyone could always have fresh ones.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

All the guys with snow tires will be glad they have them.
    All the guys with regular tires will wish they had them.
    All the guys with bald tires won’t care if they hit anything or can’t get going.

It’s winter, let the snow games begin. grin

milemark_714

It’s best if you have them mounted on dedicated wheels with TPMS if required.They take up the same space as just tires alone,and will save from the headaches of having them taken off every spring/fall.I bought an ATEQ Quick set for changing TPMS values when swapping.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

With the weather I decided to spend the day in the shop, got the snowblower tire fixed and mounted the blizzaks for the truck. Bought a set of 2007 factory rims and they are the same as 2018, and they were only $60. Driving home on a double lane road in town that necks down to a single lane (speed limit 45) a mercedes suv tried to pass me while we were going around a corner so they wouldn’t be behind me when it went to single lane. I am just guessing that they had all season tires because as they got next to me they started to hydroplane and ended up in the snowbank on the shoulder…..lol. they were lucky the snow was there or they would have taken out a couple road signs and done more damage.

riverruns
    Inactive

With the weather I decided to spend the day in the shop, got the snowblower tire fixed and mounted the blizzaks for the truck. Bought a set of 2007 factory rims and they are the same as 2018, and they were only $60. Driving home on a double lane road in town that necks down to a single lane (speed limit 45) a mercedes suv tried to pass me while we were going around a corner so they wouldn’t be behind me when it went to single lane. I am just guessing that they had all season tires because as they got next to me they started to hydroplane and ended up in the snowbank on the shoulder…..lol. they were lucky the snow was there or they would have taken out a couple road signs and done more damage.

Is guessing the same as speculation?

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

All the guys with snow tires will be glad they have them.
    All the guys with regular tires will wish they had them.
    All the guys with bald tires won’t care if they hit anything or can’t get going.

It’s winter, let the snow games begin. grin

LOL…as long as they all stop thinking that they are professional race car drivers…or professional snow bank jumpers.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.