Winter rubber boots

• onestout
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

I bought a pair of Muck boots a few years ago for bow hunting. Love the the boots until it gets cold out. How warm are the insulated rubber boots? I was thinking of something for cold hunting days, ice fishing, clearing snow around the house etc. I like the fact that you can slip them on and not need to mess with laces and should be fine when I am not going to be doing a lot of walking. The insulated ones I have looked at are expensive but Cabelas brand is quite a bit less, anyone have these and are you happy with them? I will probably stick with Muck or LaCrosse but was wondering if the cabelas brand is close or just not worth it.

LabDaddy1
    Participant

I’ve been wearing my muck wetlands for both cold days pheasant hunting and the things that you mentioned. Like you said they are nice becasue you can just slip them on. On real cold days just wear thicker wool socks and/or toe warmers.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I have muck wetlands which are fine but just got a set of korkers and they are night and day better. Far warmer and more comfortable

dirtywater
    Participant

On year 4 or 5 with a pair of Kamik Icebreakers. The rubber has been 100% waterproof and they are tall enough to use launching the boat in spring/fall. With a thin pair of smart wool socks followed by a thicker pair of wool socks, my feet stayed toasty blowing snow for 2 hours the other day. The negative is that they are on the heavy side. I wouldn’t want to walk several miles in them.

AK Guy
    Participant

I have muck wetlands which are fine but just got a set of korkers and they are night and day better. Far warmer and more comfortable

I’m on my second winter with Korkers. I love the Boa laces. Feet stay warm and dry.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I’m not sure which model I bought but I also got the studded soles which are great since I’m a clutz on bare ice.

Gregg Gunter
    Participant

X3 on Korkers with boa laces and studded soles!

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Muck Arctic Sport here. I’ve been wearing them exclusively for a few years. I bought a size big so I could add heavy socks over my base pair. I would consider Arctic Pro’s or another heavier brand if I ice fished all day a lot in cold weather.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

My muck artic pros are cracked both boots, after less then 1 year of use. I won’t be buying them again. But until they cracked I really liked them. I will be looking for new boots as well and the korkers look pretty nice

Don Meier
    Participant
    Butternut Wisconsin

Surprisingly Hodgman discontinued with removable felt liner . They look like Baffins with canvas draw on top. Heavy boot and very warm . I got them free and was skeptical but find myself wearing them daily . The best part just step into them and walk . Easy to get them off also. They had been on a couple caribou hunts and are well over 10 years old and not a crack in them .

Cam White
    Participant

Nats. Lightweight and a full rubber boot.

munchy
    Participant
    NULL

I’ve had the Kamik Foresters for 6 years now and they’ve been great. Don’t think they are insulated to the level some of the others are but mainly only use them while moving and not just sitting around. They have been great while snowblowing and shoveling as well.

isu22andy
    Participant

On my second year of Norfin Klondiaks. Flip down spikes . Love them vs mucks . Bucks always made my feet clammy then cold . I’ll never go back to mucks .

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

year 3 with my Cabelas zoned comfort rubber boots. i got them for spring/fall fishing but decided to try them out in winter and whadya know they are great so far. super comfy and very flexible. not much for insulation but with my thermal socks i feel comfortable all day.

canoebasser
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I have the Lacrosse Alpha Burly Pro 1600g. Has been good to me in single digit temp ice fishing.

Hoyt4
    Participant
    NULL

Alpha burly for bow hunting and ice fishing 1600g keep my feet warm fishing outside for devils trip in Feb and March.

MX1825
    Participant

Glenn’s has the Alpha Burlys on sale for $160 right now with Free shipping.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I’m going to look at them now

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MX1825 wrote:</div>

I’m going to look at them now

You will like them Bearcat. I do not use them for work like you but love them.

John Duns
    Participant

If you are looking more specifically cold weather/ice boots, there are only two options in my mind. First the old faithful – Lacrosse Alphaburly Pro 800G. Been rocking the same pair for 3 years now, just as waterproof and warm as when I bought them.

Something I tried for the first time this year are Clam’s Sub Zero Boots. Was pretty blown away by how much their boots and apparel have improved over the years, these boots being a good example. Not as tall as the Alpha’s but waterproof and warmer than any boot I’ve worn because of the removable wool liners.

Both boots are on the lighter side for a rubber boot, I think the Lacrosse has a slight edge over the Sub Zeros just off memory. Sub Zeros let you swap out wool liners incase you get sweaty which really helps with comfortable fishing after setting up your wheelhouse/hub/shack/etc. The Lacrosse boots are almost too warm in certain situations which isn’t an issue if you’ve got good socks.

Michael C. Winther
    Participant
    Reedsburg, WI

i’ve got the Muck Arctic Sport and they’ve been great for hunting, snowblowing, etc. the last couple years. warm and waterproof. i even wore them at the Packers/Rams game a couple weeks ago in single digits and i never got cold – many people brought cardboard to put on the cement under their feet since it robs the heat so quickly. they can overheat if you’re doing too much walking.

onestout
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

I just ordered a pair of Alpha Burly’s from Glen’s….OMG their website is terrible. It times out, has a bunch of glitches…..they need a better web developer or something. It was worth the pain for $100 off on them (off their price, about 50-75 savings over other places).

FinnyDinDin
    Participant

I like muck arctic pro. Very warm, lightweight and comfortable. My last pair only lasted a few years but they got a lot of use and I was tough on them so I was satisfied with their miles per dollar. My new ones seem better built and are holding up strong. They usually run a size small and you definitely want to try them on before buying because they don’t slide on and off for people with certain builds.

I also own alpha burlys. Good boot but I found them uncomfortable, heavy and not as warm as advertised.

tswoboda
    Participant

I also own alpha burlys. Good boot but I found them uncomfortable, heavy and not as warm as advertised.

Would hate to know what you consider a bad boot!

Coletrain27
    Participant

This will be my third year with my alphaburlys and they work great for me for what you described

FinnyDinDin
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Frederick wrote:</div>

Would hate to know what you consider a bad boot!

That was in comparison to the mucks. I guess I should have clarified. I still think the lacrosse are good in comparison to others out there. I still wear them in certain applications but not when it’s cold and on ice or when lots of walking is involved. Oh and I should have mentioned my lacrosse are leaking after a few years of lots of use as well.

There are lots of bad boots. You get what you pay for holds true in boots.

tswoboda
    Participant

Sorry I was just making a (bad) joke.

Jensen
    Participant

Roger’s Sporting goods has the alphaburly for 109 or 99 bucks depending on what color you choose.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Roger’s Sporting goods has the alphaburly for 109 or 99 bucks depending on what color you choose.

Those are not the pro 1600g winter boots

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.