Winter activities

• Deuces
    Participant

With the season upon us I am seeking adventurous activities that may be out the box of normal city guy stuff I’m already aware of. Couple friendly preferred.

Yurts at a handful of the state parks are a cool idea but they’re booked out weekends for the year already

Any ideas appreciated!

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Couple friendly aye beads! Back in the ring?

Ice skating
    Snow showing
    Surfing superior
    Winter camping
    Downhill skiing
    Whatever that thing is where people search for something. Geocaching i think
    I always enjoy a good bonfire in the winter

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I tried pickleball last winter for the first time. Busted out a can of whoop ass against some regular old timers on the court. Might be worth a try and you can play doubles with the wife too.

B-man
    Participant

Something I’ve only been to once but have always have wanted to see/do/participate again is a Winter Camping Rendezvous.

It’s where a bunch of people take a 200 year step back in time. They camp in wall tents, have big fires, wear traditional clothing and furs, shoot flint locks, eat wild game, etc. and drink.

The one I went to was pretty cool, and everyone acted normal (not trying to role play and pretend they didn’t know what a truck or cellphone was lol)

Visitors are welcome, but I always thought it would be a blast to get into myself.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Maybe a weekend at the mall of America or the outlets in Eagan?

WishIwasWiser
    Participant

I tried pickleball last winter for the first time. Busted out a can of whoop ass against some regular old timers on the court. Might be worth a try and you can play doubles with the wife too.

I’ve been reading these threads with the “poster” hidden off the left of my screen for months, maybe year(s). At this time, I can accurately name the poster 75.2% of the time. 100% for some. (See above) Kind of a fun game. But that says a lot about me, too. So, fair game.

ssaamm
    Participant
    Pequot Lakes

Pickle ball is a blast. You even see the pros playing on CBS on the weekends. It’s on right after bowling. It is fun tho. Not just for old timers. I guess I’m 54. Maybe I’m an old timer. More fun than ice fishing.

WishIwasWiser
    Participant

I’m a pickle ball fan, to be sure! Not sure, however, I’d enjoy whoop assin some old timers, tho. It’s great because it’s a sport covering large age groups.

MX1825
    Participant

Are you wanting only outdoor activities? whistling

deertracker
    Participant

Cross country skiing by headlamp is fun. Especially on a dead calm night.
    DT

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Not sure, however, I’d enjoy whoop assin some old timers, tho.

I don’t discriminate. Kids, old timers, whoever. I’m a competitive person and I’m out to beat whoever I’m playing against.

Not a big fan of the doubles though. Much prefer singles.

I don’t consider a 54 year old to be an “old timer.” There isn’t a ton of running in pickleball compared to other racquet sports like tennis or racquetball. I’ve found it to be more shot placement than running or endurance, so maybe that’s why older people can do it effectively.

Rick Janssen
    Participant

Pickle ball is a blast. You even see the pros playing on CBS on the weekends. It’s on right after bowling. It is fun tho. Not just for old timers. I guess I’m 54. Maybe I’m an old timer. More fun than ice fishing.

WELL – I play 3-4 times per week and at 65 I am not the oldest person that plays. Not sure about the comment about it NOT being for old timers. I live in a small town and there are people in their 80’s play also. We have found that most of the time the “old timers” wup up on the young ones because they just want to hit hard. It is not about that, but about getting into position. Again, if you watch the pros you can learn how to play. Of course the young ones move faster but ball placement and position will win every time.

Don’t worry I will still be out ice fishing most days also this winter.

Now I have to leave to go play pickleball -)

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

When I was a kid we used to go cross country skiing at Katio State Park by Mille Lacs. Sledding is fun and a good workout too. Weekend in Red Wing in the winter is a good time. AirBnB cabins are usually a little cheaper and good option to try out some new lakes ice fishing, and stay in cabins I will never afford with a group. Warroad started plowing the river for a few mile long skate, thought would be a fun weekend just would be tough to not spend it all on LOW.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

I agree with this, though I generally like to ski alone. I like the peace and calmness, and my wife is too slow. rotflol

Deuces
    Participant

Ski idea is a good one.

Ice fishing doesn’t pull my attention as much, not much worry there.

My lack of having a competitive nature kinda puts pickleball out, although my inner ping pong player likes the idea.

Amazing how all of the lil country cozy cabins are booked for the season already. Some pretty cool F’in places out there w all windows overlooking some great scenery. Have to check out an Airbnb again.

The warroad ice has been on the to do list, more so w the kiddos tho.

ssaamm
    Participant
    Pequot Lakes

I’ve played racketball for years, but my partner moved away. We used to beat the hell out of each other. He hit me in the mouth with his racket one night. Got 7 stitches in my lip and a chipped tooth. I was more pissed he couldn’t keep score right. I guess pickle ball is the progression. I like competition.

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

All of the pickleball talk reminds me.. I saw a video the other day of some people playing pickleball but it was on the ice and they were wearing skates. It looked like a ton of fun and got my thinking I might be setting up a pickleball net on my pond this winter.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I don’t think he was asking about extreme sports.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

DT

A friend of Mrs. Grouse’s is a nurse and loves to hit the cross-country skiing trails at night after working shifts.

She gets called in by Karen-types almost on a weekly basis.

I mean who the hell are these people? 9-1-1, what is your emergency? Yeah, there’s a suspicious 5-foot-nothing woman who just entered the parking lot in a Volvo SUV at Blah Blah Park. She’s heavily armed with a headlamp, 2 spears, 2 curved sticks. and some kind of folding table. Better stop her before she does something bad.

She has gotten to know the night shift cops on the east side really well. The good news she said is there’s zero chance of her car getting broken into while she’s skiing because every time she gets back, there’s a cop car parked beside it.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Snow tubing is fun. There are some places that you buy a lift/rope ticket, they hand you a tube, and you’re off. Getting back up the hills via tow rope is always an interesting experience – especially if it’s one of the places where you have to hold the rope and ride versus latching on.

Sledding is vastly underrated. I’m not talking about sledding in your backyard with the kids, but heading out into the country to some real hills (think bluffs of SE MN) that are too steep to farm. We used to do this 2 weekends a Winter. We’d get a tractor to the top of the hill early in the year and back it down the hill with the bucket creating a nice smooth “course” with some small edges to keep your sleds or tubes from ending stuck in deep fluffy powder. Light a fire at the bottom or top, mix in a small grill and plenty of beverages and you’re set for a full day of fun.

Winter UTV riding can be fun, especially with the setups people have nowadays with heaters and enclose cabs. There are a few chains of lakes in Northern WI where people essentially cruise from resort bar to resort bar as they would in the summer…but on their UTVs. In some places they take the ice if conditions allow or otherwise the roads.

Choose a weekend where the road conditions seem favorable and get a group to tour some distilleries and breweries. Be sure to designate a driver ahead of time, and just see where you end up for the day. Some of these impromptu adventures have made for memorable day trips with friends.

blank
    Participant

Related to the pickleball idea, I recommend curling. You don’t have to be a competitive or overly athletic person to enjoy it. It’s a very social activity, can get a nice workout (don’t believe me, try it and get back to me), you’re not at the mercy of the weather, and beer/booze is often involved if you want it to be. There are a number of clubs in the metro area and they usually offer some sort of learn to curl or times to come try it out.

LabDaddy1
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

I don’t think he was asking about extreme sports.

Yeah if u are after a “in da hood” experience might as well just go to the east side/phalen/frogtown area… lol

LabDaddy1
    Participant

Now that is a unique idea!

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Ok someone has to be THAT GUY! toast

I’m a recliner with beer and chips guy!🙄

Just kidding of course, I really like my ice time!👍

tim hurley
    Participant

Something that gets you outside that you can only do in the winter, that way you are happy when winter comes-otherwise it is a loooooong winter.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Ski idea is a good one.

Ice fishing doesn’t pull my attention as much, not much worry there.

My lack of having a competitive nature kinda puts pickleball out, although my inner ping pong player likes the idea.

Amazing how all of the lil country cozy cabins are booked for the season already. Some pretty cool F’in places out there w all windows overlooking some great scenery. Have to check out an Airbnb again.

The warroad ice has been on the to do list, more so w the kiddos tho.

OK, I don’t think we can be friends anymore! moon wink

FryDog62
    Participant

I played pickleball once last year, lot a fun. I know handful of guys my age that still have the competitive fire, but not the achilles, rotator cuff, etc. they used to. Former athletes, with some pretty notable injuries playing pickleball that went to the DL. “Its not the age, its the miles…”

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.