Winona Ice Fishing

• Dan
    Southeast MN

I’ve got a brother in his final semester at Winona State and in the last year I’ve gotten him into doing more fishing. I’d like to meet him down there and do a little ice fishing some Saturday morning. I know there’s a lake by one of the main roads in Winona (I’m not very familiar with the town). Anyone have any other recommendations or areas, or a bait shop in the area that would help?

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Hey Dan, Winona has some awesome ice fishing! Unfortunately, the bait shop just closed, but you can get some minnows from Ace Hardware off of Huff/2nd street(I think). Otherwise waxies can be found at fleet farm and I think kwik trips too.

There is a lake in winona that you can fish, but you are too close to some awesome backwater fishing that I’d recommend against the lake.

I’d go to google maps and search for ‘prairie island campground, winona, mn’.

Driving down Prairie Island Road(start at the intersection of riverview drive) there are lots of places to fish(you’ll want to look out your right window ) ). I would look for other people just to be safe, there are a few areas where ice can be thin, but you will see people fishing in the safe areas(I’ve rarely seen anyone fishing in the risky areas). To be safe you can bring a spud bar.

PM me if you want, I will probably be down there fishing this weekend, not sure where yet though. You should be able to find bluegill, crappie, perch and northern in most of the backwater areas.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

X2 on Phil’s info.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.