Winnie in the fall?

• jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I have been to Winnie several times now, but never in the fall. This year a good friend of mine is no longer involved in the family farm operation so we are going to go fish it the first of October for a few days. Anything that is a “must have” for fall fishing up there? we plan to spend the majority of the time on walleyes and perch, and would like to get into a few a pike as well. Not looking for secret spot, just if there is a specific lure or type of lure that I will need to have. With shipping delays, etc… I would like to get it ordered sooner than later. Thanks!

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Was up last weekend, be prepared to do a lot of sorting. 6-8 ft jig and minnow worked shallow, anything deeper was blades and cranks. We ended up using slow death hooks because crawlers seemed to last longer with all the perch pecking at it. Not much for bigger fish, but lots of good eater size

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Not sure when you’re going, but I would give it a few weeks yet if you’re able to choose. Bring bigger minnows like rainbows or golden shiners (since spottails aren’t an option) and fish the wind. Jig minnows and/or plastics. If the wind is too rough (my best days on winnie come in some wild winds) fish walleyes in cutfoot.
    Pike should be fairly easy in cutfoot around the weed lines. Use something shiny.
    Perch are everywhere. I never target them, but never have a problem catching them while fishing walleyes.

grpubl7
    Central WI

The boat I was using was not good for big water, so I always fished Cutfoot in the fall until ice-up. The were always good quantities on walleye and a few pike on Bob’s Bar. Start at the edge of the weeds early in the morning with jig and minnow. Once the sun started to get higher, I’d move out as deep as 23 FoW.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.