Winnie Ice fishing

• Dustin Tichy
    Participant

Thinking about heading up for the new years weekend. I know around the Alexandria area there isn’t a ton of snow and around the cities there is a bunch. Is there enough snow around Winnie to run snowmobiles around? Thinking about bringing the sleds up and my wife and the otter.
    Is any one around that area that can chime in and let me know your thoughts?
    Thanks!

mnfisherman18
    Participant

I was just up on Winni, there is enough snow for snowmobiles. Wheelers are fine right now too.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

We have a group planned to go out of the Pines with Castles this weekend also. Wondering what you guys saw for ice thickness and if anything was working for you if you care to share. Thanks

mnfisherman18
    Participant

John – I replied to your other winni post, but we saw about 14” throughout the bay and had solid fishing. Gold spoons worked best for us.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

John – I replied to your other winni post, but we saw about 14” throughout the bay and had solid fishing. Gold spoons worked best for us.

Thanks mnfish sorry to ask again just trying to get up to date info.

usafcatm
    Participant
    Drummond, WI

Mnfish, I am heading up today with my Son, any depth info you would care to share for this time of year?

1st time fishing Winni area in the winter and would like to keep the 11 year old motivated with the fish.

Cheers

mnfisherman18
    Participant

I would target 11-14 and get away from the crowds. The perch were more in that 10-11 range and we found walleyes a little deeper. Did not have much luck on deadsticks so the gold spoons I mentioned were the ticket.

usafcatm
    Participant
    Drummond, WI

Thanks, so far we have been running and only been able to come up with the smaller perch. Hopefully the bigger ones will come out to play.

al-wichman
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin

Heading up for our annual week at Winnie. We have gone on at Highbanks and through a private entrance on the west side. Haven’t heard much about how truck travel is up there. Anyone know how the west side is doing?

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

My wife just let me read a Facebook post from highbanks, and they ain’t happy. Sounds like another resort is trying to plow ice roads to hook up with highbanks road system.

I’ve heard in the past that has happened and sparks fly.

Coletrain27
    Participant

My wife just let me read a Facebook post from highbanks, and they ain’t happy. Sounds like another resort is trying to plow ice roads to hook up with highbanks road system.

i dont see anyhting about that on there facebook ???

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

i dont see anyhting about that on there facebook ???

she just said it was there???🙄 doah I don’t do Facebook and read it. Not sure what to tell you.

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

I saw the same post today. They were getting a fair amount of flack for it and ended up removing it. I don’t know resort ice road etiquette, but I’m sure it can get heated when they’re competing for fishing areas.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

i know the resorts that plow usually put up a pretty good berm, or snow pile on the sides of there roads to prevent other roads hooking up…….at least in the past they have. i’ve seen it.

not sure about the etiquette either……. but i know rick he wont be real happy. personally i think someone that has a well groomed road system and someone else horns in isnt or wont be on my willing to support list.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.