Winnie horror stories!

• Tim Reszler
    Participant
    Kenosha

We rented a cabin up on Winnie the 18-25th of July and I’ve been calling around to some of the locals I know up there and they are telling me Winnie has been netted to death. They are saying people are avoiding the lake now due to this. Any truth to this? Any recent report? Hard to believe netting can effect the lake that bad in one season.

elk_addict
    Participant
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

I find that hard to believe. Check out Jeff Sundin’s daily reports on his website. I would seriously consider hiring him for a day when you get there. An excellent guide who has fished that area for decades.

I have never fished it, but doubt the information you are hearing.

Jason_N
    Participant
    St. Cloud, Minnesota, USA

I can tell you first hand that isn’t true. I don’t even think Winnie is netted….?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The tribes have been netting winnie for many years.

mwal
    Participant
    Rosemount,MN

Winnie had the feel good slot creating a lake of giant walleye and depleting prey fish going on. This year they opened to keeping to more sizes of fish lets see how this plays out. Jeff Sundin website is a good source of information.

Mwal

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

The tribes have been netting winnie for many years.

oh yes they have,,,,,even met a couple. weren’t to happy cause they didn’t fair to well!!!!! jester devil

francisco4
    Participant
    Holmen, WI

Not has many huge perch this past winter, but not of a wasteland either. Don’t panic just yet. I will be up north that same week. Home base will be Brainerd, but we trailer the boat a lot.

FDR

Darrin Reisinger
    Participant
    Iron Range

Fishing has been slower overall this year for me and my father.A guy can still have productive days you just have to work a lot harder. In my opinion there’s been a premium on low light periods instead of an all day bite like most are used too.

Tim Reszler
    Participant
    Kenosha

Thanks for the info. I will let you guys know how we do. Big group going up. 6 boats

Chris H
    Participant

I can tell you Winni is being netted its the “dirty little secret” no one will admit is going on.

Fife
    Participant
    Ramsey, MN

Something is off on Winnie, but the fishing is still good. The numbers of fish in the typical 14-17″ keeper size seems to be way down. There are still keepers and plenty of 19″+ fish to keep your rod bent. The other thing I noticed is that the bite windows seem to be shorter. I do all my fishing during the day and it used to be if you found an area holding fish they would bite for 3-4 hours or even longer. Now it seems like they feed for an hour and then shut down or move.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.