Winnie Camping

• Dan Koziol

Looking at taking my first trip to Winnie and thinking about camping for a couple of days. I’m considering staying at the corp of Engineers “Winnie Dam” campground. It looks like it has a boat ramp and is situated on the river. Does anyone know if you can get to the big lake? i see there’s a dam but can’t tell if there’s lock or other means or other ramp on the other side.

I’d also be interested in any other camping options that would allow for access to the big lake that may be better…

thanks in advance.

David Blais

There is a public access right there in the state park. Literally at the top of the damn. There is no lock. The river below the lake is fairly small. Many of the resorts around the lake offer camping

David Blais

Here you go

Attachments:
    1. 20180626_232606.jpg

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

We have used on several occasions the south Deer Lake Campground in the Cut Foot. It’s totally rustic but the sites are large with a buffer between so you don’t feel like you are on top of your neighbor.

Dan Koziol

thanks, this is the site that i was thinking of choosing. Based on the Forestry site it doesn’t appear that there is electricity? do you recall if there is power available for charging boat batteries, etc.?

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

thanks, this is the site that i was thinking of choosing. Based on the Forestry site it doesn’t appear that there is electricity? do you recall if there is power available for charging boat batteries, etc.?

I don’t recall any electricity at this location and defiantly remember hearing generators buzzing from time to time. No way to charge batteries but it was never an issue for me fishing for 3 days.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

That campground at Federal Dam is one of the nicest you will ever find. Sites are large, you can launch right there and the run through the reeds to Portage Bay is awesome. Some good fishing right there in the bay. We try to get up there every year, and it’s my favorite campground.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.