Wiley X sunglasses

• FryDog62
    Participant

Anyone have these? Wondering specifically how the quality of their lenses compare to either Maui Jim or Costa, which IMO are the standard of quality lenses.

Angler II
    Participant

Wiley X are great glasses. I’ve had a pair for several years now and they are very durable. Double as safety glasses as they are military grade and BB proof. Fairly inexpensive as well.

Worth the money

Dennis Edward Smith
    Participant

I’ve had three pair, and love them! I don’t know that the quality is to Costa, or Maui Jims, but they are well constructed, and durable.

fishtoeat
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

I got my first pair of Wiley-X prescription bi-focal glasses about two years ago and love them. I use them for fishing, every day use and motorcycling as they have a wind/dust attachment that is very useful out west. They are used by the military and motorcycle law enforcement. Also, at least two hundred cheaper than Costa’s and Maui’s being out of my price range all together at close to 7 hundred.

FryDog62
    Participant

I got my first pair of Wiley-X prescription bi-focal glasses about two years ago and love them. I use them for fishing, every day use and motorcycling as they have a wind/dust attachment that is very useful out west. They are used by the military and motorcycle law enforcement. Also, at least two hundred cheaper than Costa’s and Maui’s being out of my price range all together at close to 7 hundred.

Yes, I was quoted $729 for a pair of progressive lens Maui Jims. Costa was almost as much… Had heard Wiley’s were less but then you wonder about lens quality. I’ve had Oakley lenses for about 3-4 years now and have never been that impressed with the lenses although the frames have held up.. Want something different without breaking the bank —

puddlepounder
    Participant
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I just ordered a pair of oakley’s. They are prescription with no line bifocals. They were not in the $700 range, but was close. I have had rayban’s for the last 4 years a d have been happy with them, but they were a little narrow for the bifocals. The Oakley’s are wider and will accommodate the bifocal better. I use health care spending account monies that is part of my health care package so, it is t really coming out of my pocket. When I was younger, I had contacts and was able to buy sunglasses off of the rack. I can’t wear them anymore so I have to go the prescription sunglasses route.

FryDog62
    Participant

Yeah, prescription makes it way too expensive especially with progressive bi-focal prescriptions. Maybe Oakley has upgraded their technology in the past 4 years.. hope so, I could just change the lens out and keep the frame since I look so great in them ;)

puddlepounder
    Participant

I was told that Oakley is on the cutting edge with the prescription lenses. Now that is coming from the person who sold me the glasses so we will see….pun intended

joc
    Participant
    Western and Central, NY

What are you guys looking for prescription polarized sunglasses?

Since I wear prescription glasses I use sunglasses that just slip over my regular glasses. Hey they are polarized and have protection on the sides as well all for around $30. I guess with the price of poles, reels, and large baits for toothy critters I can only buy so much. Just letting you however that you can get some nice sunglasses for a fairly cheap price. Not sure that helps much, bit they work great for me.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

$700+ ? Cripes. Might as well get LASIK, although with the bifocal need, that probably won’t be the ticket, either.

FryDog62
    Participant

$700+ ? Cripes. Might as well get LASIK, although with the bifocal need, that probably won’t be the ticket, either.

Yep, “age (and bi-focals) are the enemy …”

puddlepounder
    Participant

$700, that’s just the sunglasses, its another $500 to $600 for the regular glasses. I have been getting 2 years out of mine. Life costs real money. Then add the wife into the equation, glasses and contacts for her. She just wears a pair of the many sunglasses we have found at the boat landing and on the ice roads here on mille lacs over the years. There must be 8 or so pair on top of the garage fridge, 3 are oakley. The bro in law, his kids have pilfered some over the years also.

fishtoeat
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

I wanted the progressives lenses, but the doc actually talked me out of them since you’re actually dividing the lens into three portions horizontally. I’ve had no regrets going with just bi-focals. Don’t forget to ask for a aarp discount for a few brands at a few places too if you’re a member, not Maui’s though.

FryDog62
    Participant

Maybe I’ll just get regular prescription and take em off when I have to tie knots…

I actually don’t need the reading glasses except when I am wearing sunglasses with a distance prescription. Sounds kinda funny I know. My 87 year old dad is the same way, we read, tie knots, etc pretty well without any glasses. Throw on the mild-moderate distance correction and you can’t see up close anymore. Choice is to add a bi-focal/progressive lens so you don’t have to take your specs off to read, or take them on/off any time you need to do anything up close.

Apparently I’m not a good candidate for LASIK and that would just make me have to wear bifocal/reading glasses 100% of the time anyway..

Not sure what to do at this point —

Tony Arnold
    Participant
    Little Falls, MN

I have owned the same pair of costas for a few years now. Nothing but happy with them, a year ago the frame backing was wearing out. Sent them into Costa and got a brand new pair back, their lifetime warranty is great. I dont know what Maui jim or wiley x’s warranty is but Costa was nothing more then helpful.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

…a year ago the frame backing was wearing out.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by that? One of my several pair might need a little TLC.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.