Why is the MnDNR Lake Finder not this comprehensive?

• carroll58
    Participant
    Twin Cities, USA

Check out the Wisconsin Lake Finder, Index lists the Size, Area, County, Geographic Location, Depth and you can sort by Species.

This Wisconsin LAke Finder is awesome compared to the Minnesota Lake Finder!

http://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/lakepages/Default.aspx

bigpike
    Participant

I dont know about the Minnesota one but I agree the Wisconsin lake finder through the dnr is nice. Printable, lots of little waterways included.

hnd
    Participant

it depends on what you consider comprehensive. it might be easier to find a body of water but there certainly is not the level of detailed information that the mndnr has on theirs. even the smallest bodies of waters have been surveyed. you can tell how small perch are, how big walleye are, etc etc. the wiscdnrs just tells you whats in there and maybe stocking info.

you can find lakes on wiscdnr easier, you can figure out if you should fish it better with MN.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Why don’t you ask this question to the MN DNR?

shamus
    Inactive

Minnesota is far superior for information about the lake you’re targeting and it’s not even close. I miss the mndnr site. That being said, the fisheries biologist in my area of Wisconsin is helpful and will email any Lake survey he has upon request.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

I have done very little with the MN DNR website, so not much of a comment on that end of it. WI has a ton of information, but often you need to dig for it. They did some changes on the website, and now not all the information that had been readily available populates. A lot of the comprehensive information on fyke netting, shocking data, creel census,…is found by doing seperate searches for that particular body of water.

As mentioned, if you contact a regional fisheries biologist, they’ll send you a lot of information if requested.

Allan Davis
    Participant
    Carlton, MN

It maybe easier to find walleye lakes and such but I want to know how big are the fish how many did they catch in the trophy class. I think the minnesota one can take somethings away from wisconsin but wisconsin can take a lot from minnesota.

Sam
    Participant
    St.Francis

If the MN one just had the target specie of fish I think it would be perfect trying to find a decent white bass lake would be a lot easier if we had that

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.