Why is fishing called fishing?

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

Question from my 4 year old this morning, figured you guys would have some fun making up an answer to this.

Gregg Gunter

Good question. My buddy calls it wishing haha

JEREMY
    BP

How come deer hunting with a gun is called “deer hunting” but deer hunting with a bow is called “bow hunting”.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

What do you call a fish with no eyes?

Fsh.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

How come deer hunting with a gun is called “deer hunting” but deer hunting with a bow is called “bow hunting”.

Some folks just cant stay on topic, sheesh. grin

big_g
    Isle, MN

Deer hunting with a gun is called Shotgun Deer, Muzzleloader or Rifle Deer hunting… just as Crossbow hunting and bow hunting are… they are all Deer hunting. (Seinfeld episode… Frank Costanza… you got the Hen, the Rooster and the Chicken… you always hear about the rooster goes with the hen..so who is having sex with the chickens ?) rotflol rotflol rotflol

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Better question is why do they call catching crab on Deadliest Catch fishing? Wouldn’t that be Crabbing? ???

-J.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

What do you call a fish with no eyes?

Fsh.

One of my favorite Dad jokes, just make sure you say it like Fssssshhhhhhhhhh

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Or why is it called hunting at all? Like fishing, shouldn’t it be deering, or pheasanting, or ducking (double check your typing on that one rotflol )?

Red Eye

Fishing is fun but going catching always seems like a better time.

Sharon
    SE Metro

No, crabbing is what my wife does if I go fishing too much.

I didn’t think there was such a thing. 😁🎣

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigfatcroixbaby wrote:</div>
    No, crabbing is what my wife does if I go fishing too much.

I didn’t think there was such a thing. 😁🎣

And this is why you are the best catch anyone could get from a day of fishing! bow

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

And this is why you are the best catch anyone could get from a day of fishing! bow
    [/quote]

Geeze there John, tame it down just a hair rotflol

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Geeze there John, tame it down just a hair rotflol
    [/quote]

Hey she is a catch. Sorry I know it’s a family site. whistling

Sharon
    SE Metro

Awww, I feel the love!! woot mrgreen

FinickyFish

Maybe all you Neanderthals call it fishing but the us sophisticated folk correctly name it “angling” (sips tea with pinky extended). Just joshing… that is a good question though. Funny how philosophical young kids can be.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Be careful Sharon.I would hate to see you fall for all this IDO charm,there all fisherman as you know.

B-man

If we are having a slow day my boys always say…..

“Dad, that’s why it’s called fishin’ and not ‘catchin.’

jester

queenswake
    NULL

This is the kind of question that makes you question everything and eventually break down in an existential crisis. He is smarter than us all.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Fishing sounds productive, drinking with your friends in a boat doesn’t.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Be careful Sharon.I would hate to see you fall for all this IDO charm,there all fisherman as you know.

LOL I think to be among fishermen is to feel at home. 😊

“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.” ~ John Buchan

mojogunter

Well this last weekend I would have called it blood drive for the starving black flies of Green Bay. Good God they were awful.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Well this last weekend I would have called it blood drive for the starving black flies of Green Bay. Good God they were awful.

Hard to call what is worse having those things eat you alive or the fly hatches where your eating them and picking them out of your ears!

Sharon
    SE Metro

chased

Attachments:
    1. mosquitoes.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

This is the kind of question that makes you question everything and eventually break down in an existential crisis. He is smarter than us all.

Exactly, you get what I’m going through! rotflol rotflol rotflol

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

because, “throwing thousands of dollars each year into a hobby that provides the opportunity to hook a fish and pull it out of it’s home in order for you to experience joy” doesn’t have the same ring to it?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.