Whitefish Walters

• walleyevision
    Participant

Anyone having any luck with the walleyes on the chain? I was blanked on the opener, just curious if they’ve turned on at all.

Walleye Hungry
    Participant

I am heading up Thursday, never fished it before so your post is a bit discouraging to me. I will be following this closely up until i leave and will report back our findings throughout the weekend. Mostly evening or early morning fishing will be our fishing times as we have the wives and kids up this week so unfortunately we will be very limited with time. Staying at Heaths

Anyone have a lake structure map? Looking for rock structure map or bottom maps not contour. Having a hard time trying to find anything decent to start generating a game plan. I have to eliminate a bunch of water prior to getting up there without having any prior knowledge of the lake.

Walleye Hungry
    Participant

Heard rumors of a giant mayfly hatch. Can anyone confirm…looks incredibly hot this weekend

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

I was on bowstring this last weekend and can confirm we did have a hatch. Not sure about whitefish. The DNR rec compass map seems ok to me.

walleyevision
    Participant

Whitefish doesn’t typically have any big bug hatches.

walleyevision
    Participant

I was up last weekend, but didn’t really chase eyes. We fished Mille Lacs on Saturday, went after Lakers on Sunday morning and tried after 10pm that night for Wally’s and struck out. Didn’t fish Monday. I will tell you this, there is no shortage of bait in the lake. Thousands of minnows and perch all over.

Walleye Hungry
    Participant

Well, little to no success over the weekend. With it being so hot we opted for more boating/swimming but I did fish a couple hours in the evening/night.

Was able to find 2 walleyes for the weekend on some gravel. 13″ and 15″ one with a jig and nightcrawler, the other with jig and leech. Marked a bunch of fish just couldn’t convince them. Couple bass and pike to finish the weekend. Not bad i guess for my first go on this lake.

QUESTION: Can anyone explain the west shoreline of upper whitefish to me? I noticed on my side imaging some nice cabbage/weeds out to about 16 ft deep which is typical, what I was baffled by was the timbers out at 22 feet almost continuously throughout the shoreline break. Never seen anything like that in an MN lake before.

walleyevision
    Participant

Well, little to no success over the weekend. With it being so hot we opted for more boating/swimming but I did fish a couple hours in the evening/night.

Was able to find 2 <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes for the weekend on some gravel. 13″ and 15″ one with a jig and nightcrawler, the other with jig and leech. Marked a bunch of fish just couldn’t convince them. Couple bass and pike to finish the weekend. Not bad i guess for my first go on this lake.

QUESTION: Can anyone explain the west shoreline of upper whitefish to me? I noticed on my side imaging some nice cabbage/weeds out to about 16 ft deep which is typical, what I was baffled by was the timbers out at 22 feet almost continuously throughout the shoreline break. Never seen anything like that in an MN lake before.

I too have noticed the logs on upper WF. I spotted them around Sweedes bar, I can’t be certain of the depth, but I’m guessing it was about 20-22 feet. I fished the lake for years and never saw them on my locator, that was until this year when I upgraded to Mega SI.

I’m not sure if they used to send logs down the pine river or what. I’m guessing they are pretty old.

Greenhorn
    Participant
    Bismarck, ND

The Whitefish Chain was connected via the Crosslake dam for logging, so the timber could be from way back when?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.