Whitefish Lake, Douglas County Wisconsin

• daniel wiersgalla

Guys, take a look at this lake map………. in yellow is where i fish with limited success. Where would you guys drill your first hole?? Thanks

Attachments:
    1. Douglas-Whitefish.pdf

gregory
    Red wing,mn

what are you fishing for? that lake is super clear so take that in for consideration. I would keep moving around and try different things and time of day might make a difference.

daniel wiersgalla

Sorry about that…….. yes we are fishing for walleye’s…

mike mulhern

I would probably cut a couple of holes by the under water humps on the north eat end and if that doesn’t connect I would punch a couple around the point still North east of the original hole working the 20 ft depth going up and down in depth from there. I would go across and down both sides of that point.

Mike

catmando
    wis

fished the lake some, find the deep water sand grass.tip go through the narrows, and start searching.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Depends on time of year and and time of day… inasmuch as I’d trust catmando’s suggestion (sandgrass), this time year, tomorrow I’d start on the hump next door to the east of your yellow spot… fishing the saddles in between and the upper 30 foot flats as well… during first ice, I’d concentrate on the points and at dawn and dusk and in the cloudy or dark days, then I’d try every little hump in the lake

daniel wiersgalla

Thanks!! appreciate it! I’ll let you know how it works out…….

daniel wiersgalla

I do see what you mean about that narrows area……. i like that idea alot..

daniel wiersgalla

I’m going to try that spot too…. it seems like we can’t find where the largest fish concentration is… ( probably someones freezer) but anyway, our group has pulled some nice fish up at the yellow spot but just seems like low numbers in there…. I ran across the following data the DNR used for the spearing folks…
    take a look..

Attachments:
    1. DNR-Report.pdf

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

My first holes? They’d be on the saddle between the two humps by where you are. That’s a highway between the two deep water basins. From there I’d work up the slope of either hump during low light periods.

Watch James’s latest episode and he’ll speak of a similar situation.

daniel wiersgalla

Thank again…….. yes that’s exactly the scenario up there…. just watched the video….

Tyler Kiel

anyone else have good information on where to punch holes here? tried a lot of the classic spots and have only found big gills and juvenile perch. No game fish to be found yet

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

My first holes? They’d be on the saddle between the two humps by where you are. That’s a highway between the two deep water basins. From there I’d work up the slope of either hump during low light periods.

Watch James’s latest episode and he’ll speak of a similar situation.

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. I’d add also checking the funnel between the second hump and the eastern shore, similar situation.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

I’ve fished it for whitefish a lot of years ago what is the ice conditions might have a make the drive over again. We use to make a weekend trip and stay at the cabins next to the bar.

Tyler Kiel

I will be checking ice tomorrow. Hoping to make it to the big humps because i think it was open as of Friday. Tell me where to drill and i will check the ice in your spot ;)

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

We fished the 50’ to 70’ of water. I’d have to do a lot of drilling to find where we actually fished.

Tyler Kiel

I have now found fish in these spots on ice. Juvenille and slightly larger perch in the yellow areas, decent bluegills in the red area. At sundown the perch dissapear and the gills do too.

Attachments:
    1. 7B28109A-0930-4E55-9672-C8FD7A5B25E1.jpeg

daniel wiersgalla

Thank you for that!! How thick is the ice out there??? Thanks again for posting, I’m heading out this weekend and i’ll let ya’ll know how I do……….

Tyler Kiel

Had 6 inches on the southern shore to about 20-25 fow. Didnt check any further. Some snow on glare ice so i reccomend a smitty sled if you have one. Let me know where the game fish are (i know there has to be a big school of smallmouth in there somewhere)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.