Which ID?

• Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

What’s everyone choosing for a MN ID?
    1) Standard License
    2) Enhanced ID
    3) Real ID

I have to re-up and didn’t realize we had 3 options.

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

I have a passport and passport card so I just went with the standard.

ThunderLund78
    Participant

Real ID – they extended the deadline to get one but apparently that’s what we’ll need for air travel or be let into several “federal facilities” (without other supporting documents) in the near future. Kind of a pain to get one, but I just got it done and over with.

Reef W
    Participant

Real ID got pushed again to 2025 so it might be required before your next renewal. It’s been repeatedly delayed for 15 years now though so who knows. I don’t really get the enhanced ID, it doesn’t do everything a passport can and, if you have a passport, you can just use that instead of real ID or enhanced ID. That being said my passport is expired so I got a real ID just in case they don’t delay it again and need it for domestic flights.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Mines due for renewal in July. I’ll go real Id so I can go in to Canada

Reef W
    Participant

You need enhanced or a passport, real ID doesn’t do anything for international travel.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I have an enhanced ID. I let my personal passport expire and I really have no interest in traveling anywhere other than driving into Canada. The enhanced ID allows me to cross into Canada by land or go on a cruise, should I choose to do that.

Sharon
    Participant
    Dakota County, MN

I renewed my MN DL to a Real ID back in October 2019. It’s a good idea plan ahead before you visit your local license center/DMV so you know what identification materials you’ll need to bring, depending on what you’re getting and what you currently have available.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/real-id/Pages/required-documents.aspx

Keep in mind, if you have a valid passport or passport card you do not need to have a Real ID or Enhanced DL.
    An Enhanced Driver’s License is a step up from the Real ID with the addition that it allows Minnesota residents to re-enter the US at its land or seaports when returning from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Correct you do need the Enhanced ID for land travel to other countries. I got that so I could let my land pass expire and still be able to make my trip to Canada. Make sure you have what is required if I remember correctly it is your passport, birth cert, gas or water bill in your name and social security card. May not be all of that, but that should get it done.

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

Last time I renewed about a year ago, I did the real ID because I couldn’t think of a good reason not to.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

I went Real ID last time. Just go through their doc checlist online to make sure you have what you need before you go, and schedule an appointment online so you can be in an out quickly.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I got the enhanced a few years back. Its actually harder to get than a passport which is absolutely dumb. You can use this in place of a passport or passport card to travel by land between Canada and Mexico. I still use my passport card however.

B-man
    Participant

Enhanced for sure if you drive to Canada.

It’s nice leaving the passport at home and not having any “oh $hit” moments on the drive up.

I have a valid passport, but it will be hundreds of miles away from me when we go through customs again on Saturday/Tuesday waytogo

Umy
    Participant
    South Metro

Real ID
    Current passport too.
    I don’t travel much to anywhere other than Canada so I can use my passport if needed.
    Takes about 5-6 weeks to get.
    Might be sooner or longer now though, that was 2 years ago

Umy
    Participant
    South Metro

OOOPs, enhanced ID ( is it still monday?)

Riverrat
    Participant

The Enhanced ID is more expensive and it only benefits you if you drive to Canada or Mexico, or go by boat. For guys the documents are about the same for both licenses unless you had a name change.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Its actually harder to get than a passport which is absolutely dumb.

The paperwork requirements for an enhanced ID are exactly the same as a passport.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Correct you do need the Enhanced ID for land travel to other countries. I got that so I could let my land pass expire and still be able to make my trip to Canada. Make sure you have what is required if I remember correctly it is your passport, birth cert, gas or water bill in your name and social security card. May not be all of that, but that should get it done.

Just had to renew my Enhanced… you need 2 forms showing your address, so Gas AND Water bill… or any 2 utilities, bank statement, payroll check etc etc.

Coletrain27
    Participant

i have the enhanced. its really not that hard to get

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

You need enhanced or a passport, real ID doesn’t do anything for international travel.

Yup enhanced is what I meant.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

The paperwork requirements for an enhanced ID are exactly the same as a passport.

Perhaps now, but when I got my passport it was easier which I had gotten that many years ago. If you produce a passport and a valid drivers license that should be good enough to get an enhanced ID.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Standard. I’ve got a passport so the rest is just overkill donations to our state with a $17 billion dollar surplus of our cash.

Riverrat
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Perhaps now, but when I got my passport it was easier which I had gotten that many years ago. If you produce a passport and a valid drivers license that should be good enough to get an enhanced ID.

A Passport has no identification of residence on it. That’s why proof of residence is needed for the travel ID’s. Its also why passports aren’t accepted for ID when purchasing firearms. The Passport, a current Id and one current utility bill will get you either ID.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

For enhanced with an address change, You need “2” current items showing your current address.. such as an electric bill, gas bill, bank statement… 1 will get you turned down. Ask me how I know… doah

Brittman
    Participant

Real ID works for boarding domestic flights (required in 2025). There is no added cost, just an added hassle factor the first time you apply (documents needed). Real ID also will get you into nuclear power plants and military bases. I went with this since there was no added cost and I do not need to remember my passport or passport card when flying domestically.

Enhanced carries an added fee of $15. Enhanced gets you this: In addition to serving as a typical driver’s license, the card allows a Minnesota resident to re-enter the U.S. at its land or seaports when returning from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean.

You can pre-apply for enhanced and real ID. Saves some time at the DMV office and remember to bring your documents used in the application … What you need as proof is listed on via the links on this page:
    https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pages/drivers-license-information.aspx

Your current MN DNR fishing, hunting, sportsman license is a valid form of ID for proof of residency for the Real ID.

Reef W
    Participant

Standard. I’ve got a passport so the rest is just overkill donations to our state with a $17 billion dollar surplus of our cash.

Real ID is the same price as standard, only enhanced costs more. Real ID is slightly more hassle though when you can just use your passport for domestic flights if it ever stops getting delayed.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I have a passport and passport card so I just went with the standard.

X2. The passport id card will get you everything the top dl will and then some. The passport Id was only 20 extra and is good for 10 years

joe-winter
    Participant
    St. Peter, MN

so we have the “tech” to make an ID good for all domestic travel and we have the “tech” to make an ID good for land/sea travel but we don’t have the “tech” to put them on the same card?

We can’t have a passport included for international air travel on that card? for what reason? we need paper to have ink stamps in 2023??

Reef W
    Participant

so we have the “tech” to make an ID good for all domestic travel and we have the “tech” to make an ID good for land/sea travel but we don’t have the “tech” to put them on the same card? :???::???:

Huh? Both on the same card is the Enhanced ID.

joe-winter
    Participant
    St. Peter, MN

oh sorry I though someone said the enhanced doesn’t give you domestic travel…. my bad

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.