Where?

• JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

So with no family gathering for turkey day this year thought i would try a help a few people out. Thought i would make 6 or 7 turkey dinners for some people we know that are struggling more than ourselves this year. My ? is where can i buy 6 or 7 turkeys every ad says limit 1. Dont really have the time to go to a half a dozen stores. If anybody sees a store with a decent price and no limit please let me know. Hoping around 12lb range that way i have room to cook all at once.

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

Consider the grocery store ready dinner options. Last year my wife and I were traveling and bought the turkey, taters, stuffing and pie dinner from the local grocery store for around $60. They also had the same deal in a ham option. Order ahead.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Thats a pretty awesome thing to do. I want to donate gifts for needy kids but have found alot of places are not accepting donations due to cov 19.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Just go to your local market and talk to the meat manager. They will get you fixed up.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I have no suggestions towards the turkeys, but would like to say Thank you. This is a great idea. For every fortunate person out there this holiday season there are probably twice as many who are really struggling.

onestout
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Call Aldi, they have them on sale now for .89/lb

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

The world needs more people like you! If you went to any store and talked to the manager, I am sure they would hook you up. I wouldn’t be surprised if they gave you a deep discount too.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

Im really not that good of person. I just like to cook and think im pretty good at it. If i cant make it for family to enjoy i still wanna do it. Just in a way bigger quantity. And if it helps someone out that just makes it all the better.

DTW
    Participant

most large chain stores will donate birds for your cause. You don’t have to have a non profit set up for them to donate. Just tell the manager of the store what you are doing and ask for a specific donation.( turkey, potatoes etc) I work for a company that routinely helps out Hope Lodge (Cancer patients) We do a Thanksgiving or Christmas meal for 40 people being treated at Mayo or U of MN that stay at those Hope Lodges. We don’t pay anything for the food. Its all donated from asking local business for donations. If they cant do food they will donate $$.

Thanks for your generosity!

DTW

mrpike1973
    Participant

Jeremy, As a prior homeless person many years ago. Thank You! Your helping families that just need a boost or may have fell on some hard situations. Someone brought me a plate of food back then chatted with me a while treated me like anyone else. I can’t tell you how much that meant to me. You Sir are A1!

IceManBran
    Participant

Awesome way to give back. I was at Costco last night and didn’t check price/pound, but they’re limiting turkeys to 5/person. Better than the 1/person limit if you can’t find a grocery store to hook you up.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

Sent the other half to Aldis last night and again today. That will give me 4. Figure i will spatchcock them then split them in half when done since they aint going to big families that way 4 is as good as 8. Get two more and be up to twelve. That should keep me busy.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

One other thought. How would you go about finding people who could use the help without offending anyone?

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Maybe contact your county and local food shelves they might know. Also local churches. Great thing your doing by the way.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

I want to donate gifts for needy kids but have found alot of places are not accepting donations due to cov 19.

I just seen my place of employment is still having Toys for Tots drop off.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

My fire dept does a turkey bingo every year (not this year obviously) as a fundraiser where every bingo receives a turkey. We got the majority of them donated by Aldi’s. Give them a try and even if they don’t cut you a deal or donate they are cheap birds to begin with.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

Thanks but not looking for a deal. Now im more looking for families in need. Still have enough for 4 more.

joe-winter
    Participant
    St. Peter, MN

Thanks but not looking for a deal. Now im more looking for families in need. Still have enough for 4 more.

Jeremy, what you are doing is so awesome! I pray that you’ll love it so much that you’ll make this a yearly tradition.

To find families, you may want to stop by a local food shelf and ask about families in need. Another spot to check is your church.

Happy Holidays and God Bless!

Oops, sorry, I see John beat me to that suggestion.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.