Where to buy Waxies in Rochester?

• Dan
    Southeast MN

I had planned on finally getting on the ice somewhere in Rochester this week and just realized I have no idea where to get waxies. In the past two years Hooked on Fishing and Gander Mountain have closed. The only place I can think of is Wal-mart usually has some sort of waxies. Anyone else know of any other places in Rochester?

Dan
    Southeast MN

I just remembered I think Ace Hardware in Zumbrota has bait usually, so maybe some Ace’s in Rochester do too.

Sorry, when you have OCD, you’re jacked up on coffee and can’t wait until your first ice fishing day this year, you end up replying to your own posts.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Never even thought of that. I live around half an hour from Rochester and don’t get there much so Scheels is still kinda new to me, thanks!

tight_lines
    SE Minnesota

To jump in on this post is there anywhere in town that sells spikes (eurolarvae)? I have found waxies at scheels, fleet farm and some of the kwik trips.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Good luck on spikes. Lake City might have them, but Shorty’s in Kellogg certainly will.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Fleet farm has spikes, like the motto goes….if they don’t have it, you don’t need it.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If all else fails, try a pet shop.

tight_lines
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the replies! I’ll check FF. I knew of Shortys and also breakwall and 4 seasons but I won’t be able to do any real fishing outside of the local area for a couple weeks.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Theyve got that Wild Goose bait shop down by silver lake on broadway as well. Goodluck!

bigchief37
    NULL

Did you manage to check FF and Wild Goose? Would be good to get a grip on spikes in Roch MN area

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Your best bet yet is to order your bait from Vadosbait.com. Twin Cities store. They’re excellent at getting your order to you in a day or so and their product is always as fresh as you can get and probably fresher than any bait shop. Euros are $12.00 a thousand and available in colors. The Euros stay a long time when kept in the coldest part of the fridge but not freezing. Take out only what you want for a day and don’t put left-over bait back in the bulk bag and they’ll keep for a long time. 500 waxies for $18.00 and waxies require no special care other than keeping them cool and dry.

Rochester doesn’t have a decent bait source anymore. The gas stations, and retail store have the bugs but they don’t tend to them like a bait shop would. If you need bait real early or real late the stations are your only option and whatever they’ve got is all you have to choose from and if the bait has been there a week…..well.

hawkguy

FF had spikes (waxies and butter worms too) last weekend.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.