Where to buy a new mid-level fishing rod?

• ssaamm
    Participant
    Pequot Lakes

Through no one’s fault but my own. I had a couple rods meet their maker this season. Our Gander in Baxter basically threw in the fishing towel. Fleet Farm has decent stock usually— not now. Just looking for a Fenwick HMG or X or a St Croix mid-line casting rod. I break expensive rods just as well as the decent ones. I like to feel them so online ordering is good for many items, not rods in my opinion. I get to The Cities once in awhile. Any shops down there—- Joe’s, Thorne Bros, Scheel’s— worth a look. Thanks. Survived by colonoscopy today. No polyps and hopefully less throne time today. Good luck.

Deuces
    Participant

I’m not sure who has what out being that weird seasonal change time. But I really like Joe’s selection. Cabela’s is quite good as well. Thorne is also very good.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

Whenever I am in the area I like to stop at Thorne Brothers just to see what is new. Thorne Brothers has some very nice rods and also have mid-level ones. Last time I was in Cabela’s they had a good selection of rods in stock. The same with Scheels. Also look thru the Classified Ads on IDO. There was some good deals in there.

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

Scheels brand used to make some nice rods for the price. I would check them out.

FryDog62
    Participant

Omnia Fishing is already running their Black Friday 20% off special. They are an online retailer, but have a store in Golden Valley. You could always order a couple versions of what you think you want, go there to pick up at the store in person, keep the one you want, return the other.

stevenoak
    Participant

Scheels brand used to make some nice rods for the price. I would check them out.

I agree. I would consider $80 to $130 mid-range. If that’s what you’re thinking, Scheels is a great choice. I have bought several for my wife and friends. As for breaking high end rods. It seems the way they are designed with sensitive tips. I find they break easier than less expensive rods. High end rods are great for detecting light bites. But for a lot of applications, mid-range rods are just fine. Scheel used to do 20% off in the fall. But like a lot of other retailers. Since supply has become an issue. A lot less sales.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

If you’re looking for bass rods your only true options are Omnia or Capras. They will have the only LEGIT bass selection in the area, probably the state.

Most of my rods are in that mid tier range as well. $100-150. Dobyns Fury rods have treated me well, Diawa Tatula rods are around $150 and I have really enjoyed. Also don’t sleep on the Shimano SLX rods spinning or casting. For $99 they are really impressive. Especially the spinning rods, very sensitive for that price range.

stevenoak
    Participant

Think Scheels has the SLX $20 off. I have the heaviest one. I throw Pike size baits with. Like it pretty well so far.

sliderfishn
    Participant
    Blaine, MN

Take a run North to Walker = Reeds.

ssaamm
    Participant
    Pequot Lakes

Reed’s is even picked over a bit. I might go anyway. Thanks for the ideas.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.