Where can I catch bullheads?

• Andrew Hubbard
    Participant

I fish the Anoka dam and catch bullheads but not as many as I would like. Thanks for any information on where to catch them. Much appreciated!

JasonP
    Participant
    Twin Cities

Funny – when i wanted to catch bullheads for bait i would always go to the anoka dam. A 16th oz jig tipped with some nightcrawler would fill a bucket. Are they not in there anymore? or are you looking for bullheads to eat (bigger ones)?

Anyway you can also catch em in pretty much any small metro ponds because they will tolerate really low dissolved oxygen.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

I am not sure what has happened to the bull heads over the year. When I was a kid I couldn’t keep them off my line. Today at the same spot I can’t catch one. Iowaboy is the resident bullhead expert and hopefully he can chime in.

Andrew Hubbard
    Participant

Yeah we catch them but typically only a few a night with jigs and crawlers. We use them for bait for flatheads.

Andrew Hubbard
    Participant

Yeah same here. Used to be hard to keep them off of the hook. The water is really low on the Rum and Mississippi in my area. Peltier dam has extreme low water and blue green algae blooms and the fish are dieing off there.

Deuces
    Participant

I’d try the Champlin spillway

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

There are generally lots where Elm Creek exits Rice Lake in Maple Grove.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Coon Lake used to have a bunch mostly caught them at night though.

tim hurley
    Participant

Sarah lake according to the DNR report has big ones. I think they are delicious, that I know puts me in elite company.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sarah lake according to the DNR report has big ones. I think they are delicious, that I know puts me in elite company.

One in a million on this site!!

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Lol! Elite company indeed. My dad used to eat them sometimes. I do not recall if I tried them or not.

Steven Krapfl
    Participant
    Springville, Iowa

It’s the only fish in Iowa that gets consumed. I recommend trying them.

matt
    Participant

Used to get some at the Elk River dam/Lake Orono dam,Mill Pond in Champlin used to be o.k. Diamond Lake in Dayton was allways good.A few ponds in Maple Grove that have parks surrounding them that we used to get some at also,Boundry Creek Park if i remember correct was one of them.

Kevin
    Participant

Just remember that if it’s an infested body of water it’s a no go if you plan on using them for bait.

Leo Dogg
    Participant

UMMM!
    Siracha Bullhead Bake!

applause

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.