When to turn on the light?

• Nic Barker
    Participant
    Central WI-Northern IL

How do you know when to turn on the light while calling at night? Or is it better to have a red lense and have the light on continuously?

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

In wi, you can only use a light at the point of kill.

Nic Barker
    Participant
    Central WI-Northern IL

Il allows use of light continuously. But in regards to that law in Wi how do you manage to night hunt,how do you know when to actually flip it on and take that shot

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

The most popular color is red in my readings. But you see a lot of green and amber talk out there too.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

In wi full moon and snow

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

What’s the actual definition of “point of kill”? To me, I can mount a spotlight on my rifle and no matter where it shines….. or when it shines, it’s the point of kill.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

If you turn it on and sweep a field or identify your target as non species and don’t shoot, your breaking wi law. Stupid. Was to prevent poachers from shooting deer at night. Screws coon and predator hunters

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Randy, do you have any idea how the officials that be expect a hunter to define an animal or it’s position without the use of a light?

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

It is the hunters responsibility to know his target – period! I’ve been through this at spring hearings and introduced changes to the shining laws. Each year, it got shot down and never moved on. Like all laws, they were written because of what a few illegal bass turds did….and screwed the rest of us

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Is there an official definition of point of kill? As far as I’m concerned, I’m just fulfilling my “responsibilities” and confirming my target. Without legal, specific definitions, I know a lawyer or two that would eat a CO alive in court.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

The law is stated on pages 7, 10 & 14 of the small game regs.

Point of Kill Definition.
    Point of kill is defined as the
    location at which a light is used to illuminate and kill a wild animal whose
    position or location is known by the hunter.
    Shining Definition.
    Shining is defined as the casting of
    rays of light on a field, forest, or other area for the purpose of searching for,
    locating, or attempting to locate wild animals

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

You know, if you can identify your quarry without a light, I’m guessing you won’t need to turn one on to shoot it either! What all this has to do with preventing poaching is beyond me……

My dad and I had to track a blood trail this past October from a crossbow shot he’d made. We ended up walking up on a set of eyes, figured it was his deer, backed out and decided to wait until morning. Now, where we were…… if we were poachers, that deer would be dead. It turned out to not be the deer we were looking for and one of us could’ve easily returned with a rifle, turned on the light at the point of kill, and broke the law. Whether it’s instantaneous or delayed, a crime intended will be a crime committed. And yes, I know you’ve voiced this yourself and I’m preaching to the choir here…… I’m just scratching my head at the level of ridiculous the whole thing is. I guess…….. time to upgrade to some Burris scopes and leave the lights at home. ;-)

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

We need this changed and I think this spring will be time to restate my proposal

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Driving semi limits time for physical presence but let me know if there’s anything I can do to stand in support of your proposal.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Kind of an old thread, but doing a little research… looking at getting a green light… what brands would someone recommend or are there any to stay away from? Also, seems one that you can adjust, outshines those you cannot ? Looking for something to the 100 yards and maybe a little further range… any ideas for me ? thanks !

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

What are the laws in MN? I’m frustrated this year because every time I come home from work I get sick so I haven’t been out there doing anything so far this season. My solution to WI “Point of Kill” issue was tossing the spotlights aside and investing in night optics. What I have is capable of being set up for 100+ yards but even at the smallest reticle setting, it’s hard not to feel like the dot covers the whole kill zone @100yds. It’s only 4.6x magnification, that’s the problem. However, for the money I spent, anything up close is fair game. I have it on a 5.56mm right now but I’m thinking I should put it on a shotgun instead. 50yds and closer is GREAT for this set up. The animals show up easily in the dark and I use a separate spotting scope for scanning. It was working great in the fall…. was really looking forward to winter!

Nic Barker
    Participant
    Central WI-Northern IL

Big-g I purchased a Wicked Lights W4013c and have been totally satisfied with it for hunting IL. Has plenty of beam and is fully adjustable in both the beam intensity and beam width. I purchased the red light, but I’m sure the green is the same quality. Nifty feature is for like 35-40 bucks you can purchase the other colored LEDs and use them in the same light. I’m sure there are better brands or lights but I felt comfortable with what I spent on it and I’m totally satisfied.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.