What’s the Purpose of This Type of Rod Guide?

• dirk-w.
    Minnesota

What’s the purpose of this dramatic style of rod guide on a spinning rod? The first two guides were relatively normal size, but from there to the tip they are extraordinarily small. Never have I seen this. Does it help or hurt casting distance? Must be horrid in freezing weather.

Attachments:
    1. A700D3AC-1FE4-48B0-B525-C04340F2261A-1-scaled.jpeg

Dave maze
    Isanti

Micro guides. They are lighter weight. But yea, ice is an issue.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Micro guides and helps casting accuracy

tswoboda

Micro guides have been around for 20 years. Like said they’re lighter weight for better performance and supposed to increase casting distance. Negatives are they’re completely worthless in freezing weather and can be tough on leader knots with heavy line.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Micro guides were really popular for a few years but seem to have faded away recently. I tried them and was not a big fan of them. They were way more popular on baitcasters than they were on spinning rods.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Just started building rods. Those small guides are a pain to handle. Hope it’s worth it.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The big thing about micro guides (normally size 3 or smaller) is they are smaller and lighter than other guides. This increased the sensitivity of the blank, casting distance, blank response or recovery, and accuracy. Every gram of weight removed from the rod allows the blank to retain more of its inherent traits.
    The thing that sucks about them is they ice up easy, knots don’t flow thru them well, harder to thread line through, and they get clog with cottonwood and algae.

Attachments:
    1. Micro-Guides.jpg

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

In my testings I found that I gain more casting distance with the wave stripper guide (on spinning rods). I produced 2 identical crappie rods with different guide trains. The one with the wave guide out cast the other by 3’ to 6’ every time. That doesn’t sound like a lot but that was with a 1/32 oz jig!

Attachments:
    1. MicroWave-Guide-Cone-of-Flight-HD.jpg

2. Waveguide.jpg

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I built a custom rod with micro guides and have 3 avid X’s that have micros as well. I do feel they are lighter and I genuinely love fishing with them, but if there’s a chance for ice, they stay at home. They ice up so easily.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.