What size Pflueger President?

• dirtywater
    Participant

I have a basic 7ft medium Fenwick eagle rod that needs a reel. Decent deal on Presidents right now so thought I’d give to a shot. In terms of balance with this rod, what size would folks recommend? This will be a basic all-around setup, line capacity isn’t a big concern (using 6-8lb braid). I just want something that feels appropriate for the rod. Would a 25 be too small?

tswoboda
    Participant

Yes get a 30

TMF89
    Participant

I really like the size 30, I have two of them on 7′ rods.

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

With the medium action, I agree with the size 30. I have a few 6-9 ML’s with the 25’s and really like that setup.

Hoyt4
    Participant
    NULL

Love these reels , have them on all ice rods and a few open water. 25/30 should work.

Leftysrconfused
    Participant

I believe the size 25/30 reels from some manufacturers are the same physical size with only the spools being slightly different.

I think a size 25 reel is just a bit too small for a 7′ rod.

Deuces
    Participant

Reel size imo is to balance the rod.
    If it is for rigging purposes having it balanced parallel or even slightly tip down to the water is preferable. Highly pressured and or neutral fish depending on leader length, speed(tautness of line), and bait choice can make for some really finesse bites, having a setup completely balanced in hand letting you concentrate more on feel than keeping your rod tip where it needs to be can be quite beneficial. Nothing wrong w bringing rod in store and trying on reels for size to find that happy point is worth it, jm 2 cents

Karl Hungus
    Participant
    Carver County, Minnesota

Agree with last poster JJ. I will fess up to not being a fishing gear expert at all but bang for buck, the Regal beats a President IMO. I have both and I”ll choose Regals as I add to my arsenal. Practical reels at practical prices.

Dennis Williams
    Participant
    Apple Valley, MN

I have used both the 25 and 30 for many years. I like the 25 more than the 30. There is not a big difference. The 25 just seems more balanced. I use them on 7 foot, medium/light rods.

Jimmy Jones
    Participant

I say it depends on how much you plan to use the rod/reel. While the Presidents are on sale, if you plan to aggressively use them you might find yourself in the reel market again within a couple years. I wear President 4000 series reels out in a season of casting the breakwater on Lake Superior.

Shimanos seem to be fair reels yet, but I think Diawa, as JJ mentions, is a better reel currently. I’d also agree with his size suggestion with the line sizes you mention. If you want the rod to be a little lighter in the tip with the Diawa drill a hole in the butt cap [or try to remove it], squeeze in some silicone sealant and press a couple, three 00 buckshot in then seal with the silicone again. Stand the rod on end while the silicone cures.

dirtywater
    Participant

Great feedback all around. I grabbed a size 30 this morning and it balances on the 7ft fenwick quite well. Feels comparable to a 2500 shimano.

I’ll have to look into the daiwa stuff more closely next time around. I have a tatula baitcaster that I like a lot, but don’t have much experience with their spinning reels. I also have siennas and a pflueger purist in the arsenal and I honestly haven’t developed a strong preference or loyalty to any brand. They all seem to be hit or miss. I don’t abuse my stuff or get to fish nearly as often as I’d like, so I haven’t run into issues with longevity to this point.

Fwiw— fleet farm has a promotion going on, free $20 gift card when buying the fenwick rod; applied that toward the president; then a free $15 gift card when buying the reel; applied that to line. Decent deal for the whole shebang.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Fwiw— fleet farm has a promotion going on, free $20 gift card when buying the fenwick rod; applied that toward the president; then a free $15 gift card when buying the reel; applied that to line. Decent deal for the whole shebang

If I saw their ad correctly. You should have been able to get the reel filled with Line for free as well.

dirtywater
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dirtywater wrote:</div>
    Fwiw— fleet farm has a promotion going on, free $20 gift card when buying the fenwick rod; applied that toward the president; then a free $15 gift card when buying the reel; applied that to line. Decent deal for the whole shebang

If I saw their ad correctly. You should have been able to get the reel filled with Line for free as well.

Yes they do have free line and spooling for reels over $40– but I’m picky about my line so happy to pay the $15 and get what I want. Also the last time I let a store spool my reel they did it backwards, so I told myself that was the last time chased

Smellson
    Participant

Agree with last poster JJ. I will fess up to not being a fishing gear expert at all but bang for buck, the Regal beats a President IMO. I have both and I”ll choose Regals as I add to my arsenal. Practical reels at practical prices.

Agree 100%. I bought a president a few years back after hearing the “hype”. I was not impressed. Daiwa regal for $50ish is a much better reel

Riverrat
    Participant

Regals have the same center bearing as the Pflueger but seem to weigh about 150% what a pflueger weighs. I run both, and on my lightweight 7′ rods I use a 25 and heavier pike rods a 30.

dirtywater
    Participant

Reel size imo is to balance the rod.
    If it is for rigging purposes having it balanced parallel or even slightly tip down to the water is preferable. Highly pressured and or neutral fish depending on leader length, speed(tautness of line), and bait choice can make for some really finesse bites, having a setup completely balanced in hand letting you concentrate more on feel than keeping your rod tip where it needs to be can be quite beneficial. Nothing wrong w bringing rod in store and trying on reels for size to find that happy point is worth it, jm 2 cents

I wanted to try it out in the store but they have the presidents in those stupid blister packs instead of boxes. Thankfully it balances almost perfectly. Maybe a little on the tip-heavy side, but I think once I spool it up it might be just right.

mrpike1973
    Participant

Daiwa for spinning are hard to beat. Got a few Pfluger supremes at the sale of the century on here they are not even close to the cheapest Daiwa reel. Matter of fact probably going to sell them or give to a needy kid.

Umy
    Participant
    South Metro

I have two Presidents and I think they are fine reels.
    Very serviceable, have held up well, lots of use.
    I also think, that for the money I would buy another Shimano Sahara 2500.
    I have a Vanford the kids gave me for Christmas last year. Expensive, nice, but the Sahara is right there.
    My two cents

Hydro
    Participant
    Brainerd Mn

I personally like the President reel, I have fished them for quite a few years now, currently have 6. I have never had one fail and I fish them pretty hard and I fish a couple times a week. There are a lot of good reels available now days.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Daiwa for spinning are hard to beat. Got a few Pfluger supremes at the sale of the century on here they are not even close to the cheapest Daiwa reel. Matter of fact probably going to sell them or give to a needy kid.

I agree Daiwa is on the move up and will be most likely buying them from now on, to say the supreme does not compare to the cheapest Daiwa is a little bit of a reach IMO. As far as giving them away, I could take them off your hands Mr Pike.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.