What rod to put my Ceymar 500 baitfeeder on?

• BoatsHateMe
    Participant
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Picked one up at the Hardwater Expo. I have the larger 2000 I’ve run on my iFish pro with a 38” MH rod for walley and pike. I was a little disappointed, not entirely, but a bit that the line didn’t feed off of it as easy as I thought it would. I was very pleased when I felt how easy the 500 spooled off.

So I’m wondering what Rod this should go on. Not sure if I’d do this on an iFish Pro or as a dead stick in the house. I’m thinking the latter so maybe a 30”ish rod. What’s a good dead stick/baitfeeder combo? Being a baitfeeder setup does a Bullwhip make sense? Something in a TUCR or Thorne Bros or…

A baitfeeder isn’t really practical for panfish, is it? Maybe larger perch but crappies and bluegills? Thinking it’ll be a walleye rod/reel.

hawghunter08
    Participant

I would suggest tucr deadstick. 36”. That’s what I run and love that combo. Nice thing about the baitfeeders is they can go on almost any rod you want. Mind me asking what the show price was?

Ice Cap
    Participant

If you want a higher end rod then the TUCR Dead Stick is a good choice. Or a Elliott rods Rippin Eyes or a Nomad. If you want a dead stick for in the house the Rippin Eyes is 32″ while the Nomad at 36″ might be a bit big for in the house depending on how big your house is.
    Let us know what you wind up with as I’ve been considering a dedicated dead stick rod/reel combo myself. Right now I’m using a older 28″ Ugly Stick with a Cetus (cheap) reel. Thing is it’s performed well and hasn’t given me any real reason to replace it.

BoatsHateMe
    Participant

Thorne Bros was $59.99 -20% so $47.99.

Wish I had time to go back there today to pick up a rod at some good pricing. Really didn’t look at them when I was there.

Ryan Wilson
    Participant

Could try the TUCR inferno.

Bluegill89
    Participant

Depending on what you want to spend there are a few options. I have a Thorne Brothers dead stick rod. I haven’t used it yet so I can’t give my opinion on it yet. For the money the Jason Mitchell series Meat Stick And Dead Meat rods are decent for the money, they are about $40 From what I remember.

Craig Sery
    Participant
    Bloomington, MN

I have mine on a TUCR deadstick which is a phenomenal rod, but just bought a dead meat to try for a little cheaper option

Travis
    Participant

My opinion is a 32-36″ Thorne Bros deadstick. 36″ maybe pushing right against the practical range if your in the portable so if it’s specific for an Ifish Pro, then your golden. My applications weren’t always with Ifish pro in mind so I have 2-32″ deadsticks from Thorne and absolutely love them. Backbone is balanced beautifully with the forgiving tip and the 8″ Tennessee handle provides plenty of leverage and control for the fight.

Many big Walters brought topside last winter and didn’t ever have a concern that the rod wasn’t performing or I could have done better. Priced around 75 bucks, Thorne Bros checked all the boxes for me as an angler with my expectations of a quality deadstick!

BoatsHateMe
    Participant

I’ve got a Meat Stick already and a couple different TUCRs so maybe I’ll try that Thorne Bros. dead stick, 32 inch since this will primarily be in icehouse Rod in my brand new Clam Yukon X Thermal Ice Team Edition house. yay

hawghunter08
    Participant

Thorne bro’s rods are awesome also. Enjoy the new rod/reel combo and the new shack.

waldo9190
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

I have a 20 series ABF on the 28″ Jason Mitchell deadmeat rod, and will be adding a similar setup with their 32″ rod as well. They were the bees knees in the wheelhouse last year.

patk
    Participant
    Nisswa, MN

I have a 20 series ABF on the 28″ Jason Mitchell deadmeat rod, and will be adding a similar setup with their 32″ rod as well. They were the bees knees in the wheelhouse last year.

@waldo9190
    How did you like the 20 series for that application? I was doing something similar but always thought the 20’s were too big. Bought some 500s to try this season but still in the box.

@boatshateme
    Can’t go wrong with that 32″ from Thorne. For a slightly different approach you could also look at the JT Walleye Snare. Bought one at the Blaine show so no hands on feedback yet. After using the JM Meatsticks I wanted something similar in the tip but more moderate action. My only problem is the 36″ length so we’ll see how it goes.

waldo9190
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>waldo9190 wrote:</div>

@waldo9190 How did you like the 20 series for that application? I was doing something similar but always thought the 20’s were too big. Bought some 500s to try this season but still in the box.

I can understand where someone could think that it is too big, but knowing that it was/is a dedicated deadstick, I really didn’t mind it at all. That setup spends its life either in a rod holder in the wheelhouse, or a rod holder on the ice, so the overall balance isn’t as important (to me at least), YMMV. I MAY go with one of the smaller bait feeders for the second deadstick, but we will see. Primarily depends what the local stores have in stock.

moustachesteve
    Participant
    Twin Cities

I’ll echo what Waldo said. While the 20 series is larger than necessary and a little heavy, if it’s going to be on a deadstick and you’re not jigging it all day it doesn’t matter much to me. If buying today, though, I’d get the 500 series for an ice fishing application.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

I just received 2 500 series last night. Over the 1000 series there in not much weight difference but a noticeable size difference. All 4 bait feeder reels are on TRW custom dead sticks. The 2 smaller reels are on lighter dead sticks and the two larger ones are on a medium and heavy dead stick. Like moustache said ^ I am not going to spend the money to replace the larger ones since I am not jigging them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.