What do you all cook with your fish?

• Deleted
    Participant

deep fried pickle slices…..home-made sweet refrigerator pickles, onions & peppers

I just started using a cast iron Dutch oven for my fish fry too……so much better than the cheap little fryer I was using.

Geerdes
    Participant
    Brandon, SD 57005

mashed potatoes and peas

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Participant
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Saturday night…Bluegills, fried diced potatoes and onions, cole slaw and corn bread. ‘Bout as basic as it needs to be.

Didn’t have any fresh homegrown sweet corn and tomatoes until yesterday.

Attachments:
    1. 20180811_204620.jpg

2. 20180811_205719.jpg

BoatsHateMe
    Participant
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Was looking for an alternative to the usual fish fry the other night so I thought I’d try a Cajun blackened walleye over fettuccine Alfredo since I had some leftover roasted garlic Alfredo sauce. Turns out I didn’t have any Cajun seasoning left but did find some Essence of Emeril (Emeril Lagasse’s herb/spice). Gave that a sniff and it smelled like it would go great on fish and oh man did it ever. Just rub some in to the fillets, cast iron sear and laid them on top of the noodles and sauce. I also heated up some red sauce, it was amazing with both and of course all by itself. Green beans filled the vegetable role nicely.

I’d never do this with an Alfredo out of a jar though :ick:

All of it easy peasy.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

I can no longer eat the jar stuff either. Home made Alfredo sauce is actually pretty simple.

Ahren Wagner
    Participant
    Northern ND-MN

Hand cut fries baked and salted!! Make sure they’re crispy though.

1hl&sinker
    Participant
    On the St.Croix

Morton’s Sea Salt Rub cracked peppercorn & herb a try for pan searing
    is also tasty.
    For a side I’m happy with just orida fries or tater tots if there is an oven available something quick and easy even those flavored dehydrated potatoes in a bag is good with canned corn heated up. I’m too focussed on the fish to put to much time into anything else.

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

Hush puppies when we are frying. Saffron rice if it is a nicer meal.

tornadochaser
    Participant

I have a 2 basin deep fryer with 2 separate oil reservoirs. When I fry fish, I usually make Orida Zesty straight cut fries, or some tots to serve with the fish. Usually green beans or spinach salads round out the meal. Sometimes since I’m heating the oil up anyways, I’ll fry cheddar nuggets, mushrooms, or cheese curds as an appetizer.

slipbob_nick
    Participant
    Princeton, MN

Chop up some yams and bake sweet potatoes fries in the oven. Cream corn.

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

Chop up some yams and bake sweet potatoes fries in the oven. Cream corn.

Made some baked sweet potato fries for the first time this week. I soaked the cut fries in beer all day, rinsed, pat dry and seasoned. After sprinkling with some EVO, I seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt and a couple of punches of cayenne. Baked on parchment paper at 425 for about 35 minutes. Flip at the halfway point.

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

Either onion rings or herbed home fries.

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Using a very basic coleslaw recipe, double the lemon juice, reduce the vinegar slightly, then add plenty of dill weed. Makes a nice complimentary side to any fried fish, we like it on fish tacos.

Just run a search for basic coleslaw recipe, I use the one from allrecipes.com

slowpoke
    Participant
    Perham Mn

Bush’s Baked Beans.. onion variety. Wife doesn’t care for them so I get the whole can.

Leo Dogg
    Participant

Don’t forget the balsamic vinegar.

A nice change from tartar.

We do wild rice with walleye and panfish now and again. Mostly we make fried potatoes and beans or make tacos.

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

Fish tacos are with the leftover filets, I fry enough waldos to have the second meal.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Participant
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

We do wild rice with <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye and panfish now and again. Mostly we make fried potatoes and beans or make tacos.

Walleye Wild Rice Chowder I have made many times… yay

Attachments:
    1. WalleyeandWildRiceChowder.jpg

walldows
    Participant

We always have glorified rice.

Viewing 19 posts - 31 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.