What do you all cook with your fish?

• Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

I have been put in charge of frying up some fish this evening. What are some simple sides you guys like to serve up along with your fish? We typically do homemade bread or cornbread but will not have time for that. Figured I could learn some other options from some of the fine culinary minds on here!

Jeffrey Trapp
    Participant
    Milbank, SD

I may be more simple than most but I love baked beans and mac and cheese with my fish. It’s easy, fast, and I think delicious.

bigbeard
    Participant

Hand cut fries! Salt em up and let em cool while you finish the fish. Just make sure you sample a few, never trust a skinny cook!

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

More fish grin

We just had a fish fry last week for my Dad’s b-day. Everyone was saying more fish, more fish… we did hand cut fries and coleslaw with ours and it turned out terrific!

Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

Those are both great ideas, really digging the hand cut fries idea.

Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

Might have to do coleslaw beings we like to use leftovers for fish tacos and coleslaw is excellent on fish tacos!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Participant
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

If it was fall or winter I’d say some kind of wild rice side but it’s not time for that yet. I do like baked beans because it was part of the traditional shore lunch and of course some kind of fried potato too.

Cole slaw is a must also and if you’re pressed for time, stop and get some Mrs Gerry’s at the store, plus I know CUB has corn bread already to go in the deli section which is good too.

zooks
    Participant

If you’re seeing local sweet corn for sale, that’s an easy crowd pleaser.

Scott Gergen
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

If home, mashed potatoes are a favorite and some coleslaw. Some plain sandwich loaf bread with a good coating of butter, some fried walleye, a nice slice of cheddar cheese, and some coleslaw is our “fish sandwich” and is a delicious!

If shore lunch, then fried potatoes and a can of baked beans on the fire. Bread and butter, mostly to hold the fried fish.

Scott

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Most of the time the sides don’t even get looked at until the fish is gone. So more fish! I normally do colesaw if I do do a side. It’s hard to beat fish tacos the next day if you have any fish left.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

we’ve done buttered noodles, PB&J sammiches, stewed maters, just beans. by buttered noodles i mean boil up elbow noodles fry in butter and onions!!!!!

mater oh fact its fish for us tonight also………….it’ll be fish, fresh sliced cucumbers and maters from da garden. i just shredded our cabbage to make kraut, there could be a side of cabbage and ranch dressing!!!!!!

xplorer
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

Fried onion and bacon sammich’s.
    Its actually more of a pre-meal side. I do them on most of our “guys” camping trips when I’m always responsible for the fishfry.
    I can’t take credit tho, that goes at least in part to Barry “Woody” Woods up on Rainy, who made the fried onion/bacon sammy a well known part of shore lunch.

Before cholesterol mattered, I would fry a bunch of flavored bacon ends with onion and sliced red potatoes til they were crispy. Way good but probably took a couple years off my life smile

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

Sliced fried potato and baked beans…absolute best combo you can have with fried fish. Simple and delicious.

grubson
    Participant
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

On Sunday we had beef with our fish! Superior salmon, Coburn’s Ribeye, a couple marinated beef kabobs and some taters for good measure.

Attachments:
    1. 20180805_183147.jpg

Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

Awesome, you all have given me some options to think about on the drive home. Salivating already, might need to bring a bib for the drive!

broth82
    Participant

For sides we like to make baked beans, coleslaw, or plain white rice. Also if you have never tried it use a little strawberry jelly on your fish, not a ton just a little dab. We typically use fry magic for our coating and then fry the fish in oil in a cast iron pan.

rubberduck
    Participant
    east bethel

don’t cook it but BEER goes great with fish!! toast

robby
    Participant
    Quad Cities

Cole slaw, taters with onions, garlic, butter on grill, corn on cob, fried okra.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Fried skin on sunfish, fresh mater’s, cukes, and cabbage from the garden.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20180807_190420536_HDR.jpg

cheers
    Participant

BUSH BEANS thick syle

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Since the fryers already running…anything you can deep fry!

I also loved backed beans, Rice a rooni, augratan potatoes or hash browns (my spelling sucks).

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Since you put the thought in my head I had to fry fish myself last night. We had asparagus with butter and garlic for our side and lots of fish.

trophy19
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

If you have an oven handy, a pan of cheesy potatoes is always a hit at the Wednesday potluck in Sioux Narrows. That, and a few baskets of vidalia onion rings….

Pete

Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

After the drive home, I ended up doing baby potatoes in oil with garlic and a whole mess of herbs on the grill to go along with the fish. My son got to eat his fish he caught and loved it! He had 5 fillets himself which was impressive for a 2 and a half year old! Thanks for all the ideas guys, all have been noted and will be used in the future.

muskie-tim
    Participant
    Rush City MN

Oven roasted potatoes and/or roasted asparagus or carrots.

Snake ii’s
    Participant

Cheese curds – I really like goat cheese dipped in egg, rolled in panko and deep fried – you should freeze them for ~ 30 minutes prior to deep frying

Jalapeno slices – beer battered and deep fried

Sweet potato fries – either baked or deep fried

fresh made tartar sauce with loads of diced pickles

catmando
    Participant
    wis

Toast .

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

I like turning my crappies into crappie cakes using Paula Deen’s recipe.
    And crack a bottle of brut champagne. Nothing better

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.