What chip for my new Lowrance?

• roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Sorry…I am very ‘green’ with this stuff since I haven’t had a new boat for 20 years. I bought an Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 2 and now I need to buy a chip for the GPS. What are my options and what would be best? Typically just MN but ND/SD are also possibilities for me. Thanks! RR

CaptainMusky

The Lowrance Insight Pro chip is a very good choice for MN waters. I haven’t fished ND/SD much so I cannot comment there.
    I would shy away from the “HD” chip. The difference is the HD chip has shaded relief which goes away when you get to more usable zoom levels.
    I do have the Navionics Platinum chip which is very good and I think you can get free updates from Navionics for a year with it now. To see what Navionics mapping looks like use the web app and find your targeted bodies of water.

http://webapp.navionics.com/

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I agree with insight pro over hd. You also get insight genesis for one year with hd.

I also like the insights chips over navionics.

Al Case

I was at Cabelas last week and the guy I talked to in the electronics section advised the Insight chip for the Lowrance Elite 7 Ti that I’m looking at.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Another vote for the Insight chip.

Al Case – I have the Elite 7 with Inight chip. Great combo!

-J.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Another vote for the Insight chip.

Al Case – I have the Elite 7 with Inight chip. Great combo!

-J.

Just put one on hold at Cabelas. Pick it up after work. Thanks for all the ‘insight’ fella’s!

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

You can get a lot of great high-def maps for FREE from gofreeshop.com. If they don’t have your favorite lake, you can log sonar data and have one made. It’s a great feature I’ve been using to map all my county’s lakes.
    I also have the Insight Pro card which is great for the large lakes I haven’t gotten around to mapping yet.

John S.

KirtH
    Lakeville

If you go to Navionics.com click on the web app, here you can actually see the mapping offered by Navionics vs guessing what it looks like. If you fish the upper midwest Hotmaps Platinum with SonarChart if you venture outside he midwest get the Navionics+ it covers all of US and Canada on one card with Nautical Chart or the same data that came on Premium you download the High Def SoanrChart data for the area or areas you fish.

When you go to the WebApp click on the icon on the lower left corner to view the high def SonarChart layer.

Navionics also offers a year of unlimited updates with the card purchase so your card never goes out of date fro the first year, this allows you to refresh your card with the most current data as Navionics does mapping updates. You can resubscribe fro another year at 50% off of initial purchase price.

Missouri river is 100% better on Navioncs vs Lowrance Insight.

Attachments:
    1. Screen-Shot-2016-04-18-at-9.08.16-AM.png

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

I was GOING TO BUY the Nav Upgrade chip to use here in LaCrosse .. but I went on their chat site first.. OH OH.. look out.. only half of the river meaning main river sloughs are mapped.. the whole Minnesota side is UNMAPPED.. and trust me even my old Garmin and an old Lakemaster chip had all of this .. I was reaching for the wallet when I found this out.. be very very aware of this. .keeping what I have and probably going to supplement with a hand held Garmin 5 or 6 inch gps..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.