Weekend, Mille Lacs vs Red vs LOTW

• patk
    Nisswa, MN

Something is very very wrong in the universe. Last night the FW said, I’ve got an idea how about we take our new wheeelhouse for a weekend away. Where should we go?

While I’m wondering if aliens abducted and replaced her, I’m not about to argue devil

Ordinarily I would go to Mille Lacs. Only an hour away to Garrison Sports and I’ve typically picked up a few every trip late season. However I was reading other Mille Lacs comments, essentially sloooowwwww. I know it might get better now that it’s not -30 every day but by the weekend?

URL – Only been twice and used guide shacks. Read all the threads earlier this year about going on your own. Not sure this late it’s any better/worse that Mille Lacs.

LOTW – I know this is the odds on best bet for fishing. However I really don’t want to drive this far. Didn’t get the IDO approved tow rig and maxing around 55mph. Plus the extra time commitment.

What say you?

p.s. talked to a couple guys yesterday who got skunked on Leech and that was working hard, staying mobile. Same distance for me as Mille Lacs but even worse reports

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Pm sent

Chad McDonald

Throw LOW out of consideration. 10 of us just got back from a 3 day trip. Maybe 25 “keepers” between the group. Couple weeks maybe put that back on your radar.

Coletrain27

How about Winnie? If your fishing Monday you won’t be able to keep walleyes after Sunday unless you go to lotw

MNdrifter

Some good reports coming from Red the last couple weeks. Sounds like the north end is doing well. I personally did alright last two weekends on Mille Lacs. Leech is really tough. I’ve had some good days there, but a lot of busts also. Winnie seems to never really disappoint for me either.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

We did Winnie this weekend and it was a little slow but managed a few eyes and some keeper perch. North end 16-18ft of water. As far as the others mentioned you already described it pretty spot on so it’s really your choice.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If your fishing Monday you won’t be able to keep walleyes after Sunday unless you go to lotw

Great point Coletrain. I am sure some people may be forgetting about this. Although your statement could also be modified to “targeting” instead of keeping because technically even targeting one past Sunday is illegal on inland waters.

Gary

Best fishing of the entire year is starting up right now through March for the most under estimated fish in Northern Minnesota.

MNdrifter

Best fishing of the entire year is starting up right now through March for the most under estimated fish in Northern Minnesota.

Agreed. Got 2 trips planned for big pike! LOTW’s and South Dakota (if ice holds up). Love me some big pike in shallow water.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Best fishing of the entire year is starting up right now through March for the most under estimated fish in Northern Southern Minnesota.

Fixed it.

A few more weeks and I’ll be shooting for the elusive 15+” perch on the Mississippi. I hopefully won’t get annoyed sorting through all of the pesky 12″ers to find one for the wall.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

A bad day on Red is still better than a good day on Mille lacs. I would think the crowds have decreased by now. And if you drive past Rogers and go further north by Beacon and Hillmans, I bet theres even fewer houses. Bonus hubcap crappies start showing up on the north shore ditch 5 area soon too.

usmarine0352

A bad day on Red is still better than a good day on Mille lacs. I would think the crowds have decreased by now. And if you drive past Rogers and go further north by Beacon and Hillmans, I bet theres even fewer houses. Bonus hubcap crappies start showing up on the north shore ditch 5 area soon too.

All year long?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

thanks for the help. Red or Winnie look to be tops on the list. Thanks to Bearcat for the pm on another suggestion.

Looks like we’ll be able to take friday off of work at noon so seems like it might happen. About the only problem still in the way is a spare tire. Was going to use one from another trailer but just realized it won’t fit.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Do you have Northern Tool in your area, they might have a spare.

John Yang

FWIW,
    Was out on Mille Lacs yesterday. Caught 1 healthy walleye, ~24 inches, and caught some tulibees. The fish in general didn’t seem to be very active. Best of luck wherever you decide on going.

Gary

I was talking about the continuous season Burbot. The stay up late and sleep in fish that can bend a rod like a giant walleye.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

All year long?

Sure…..I will take those stained shallow fertile lakes anytime of year. Mille lacs was hot last couple years too.

usmarine0352

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>usmarine0352 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

All year long?

Sure…..I will take those stained shallow fertile lakes anytime of year. Mille lacs was hot last couple years too.

Hot as in temp or good fishing?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

This is very recently.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_38901.jpg

2. IMG_6610.jpg

3. IMG_9375.jpg

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I was talking about the continuous season Burbot. The stay up late and sleep in fish that can bend a rod like a giant walleye.

Bonus fish!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_18781.jpg

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.