Warning light on boat motor

• mrpike1973

Started the 25 HP Mercury up today put the muffs on. No water out the hole shut it of right away started back up OK steady stream of water. After 5 minutes the warning light beeps and stays on. So I turned up the water hose to a little over half then ran it mid throttle for 20 minutes no alarm. I think I just didn’t have the garden hose on high enough. On a season start up I’ve had them maybe not squirt for 30 seconds or so. Stream seams steady and strong at idle and high speed. I don’t think I have an issue? Never had a alarm go off before but shut it down right away.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Water pump could be getting weak, could put it in a barrel of water and see if it pumps that way? Sometimes a garden hose can hide a weak pump. That’s what I would try.

castle-rock-clown

Was this first thing in the morning with the engine subjected to freezing temps? These motors are designed to drain, but a little water frozen in the pee hole hose can interrupt flow till warmed up. During late fall island hopping for whitetail, me temp alarm goes off every morning till things completely thaw. It’s been doing this for over 10 years.

mrpike1973

Good point it was the first start up of the season it was only 35 degrees out when I did this. Will keep a close eye on it. Wouldn’t think it was a pump only 2 years old but could happen anytime.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Personally I would never run the motor above idle when on a hose/muffs. You didn’t mention what you were trying to accomplish?

BTW, the red light on the motor is the low oil warning light.

-J.

mrpike1973

I was just making sure I’m not that guy at that ramp that cant get the motor running. Today I put it in a tub of water started right up steady stream ran it at half idle for 25 minutes no alarm stream was warm and ran good. I think I’m good.

mrpike1973

Called the dealer told them what happened glad I did. Found out on that motor it has 3 water pickups and should only be run in a tub of water. The muffs are OK just for a quick start up but for prolonged idling running must be in a tub of water. He said they get a lot of calls on that. Just told to keep an eye on it and change it out next season.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.