Warm weather and the start of trapping season

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I got on the Groenewold fur buying site to see what the prices were doing and things are looking up some there. Groenewold is suggesting that trappers in the southern part of the state in Wisconsin, northern Iowa and the area where I live, just above interstate 80. to start a little later, around thanksgiving so the furs will be more prime. They say if theres too many furs that aren’t prime there may be surprises at the truck with lower prices when guys are wanting to sell.

All this is good for me because I’ve been busy and need a couple more weeks to get ready anyway. I have to check the areas out I’m going to trap and get counts on animals, make holes, get bait and prebait to get the animals coming in. This also gives me more time to check for muskrats, beavers dens and mink runs. Good luck guys and its best to wait for the better prices.

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

I’m waiting for those colder temps as well this year. I don’t trap but I intend to do a fair amount of predator hunting. When at my parents place in IL, I am less than half an hour from Groenewalds Headquarters in Forreston, IL. And my dad is also an avid trapper so storage is not an issue. However at my apartment I have no way to freeze, or otherwise store fur so I’m going to be relying on the cold weather to make my garage a freezer until the truck comes around.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.