Lake Wapogasset Walleyes

• magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Anyone fish the lake for eyes and have sucess? I have been fishing this lake since I was a kid and there doesn’t seem to be the walleye in there that there used to be. Just curious if anyone has been able to find the eyes in this lake the last few years.

Thanks
    Mike

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

I’ve pretty much given up on them in this body of water including a few others in the area (Big Round). I know I’m not the best walleye guy in the area, but even some of the locals are seeing the same issues. I just don’t have the answers, but do have a lot of speculations. But good luck if you chase them in this area.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Back in the 70’s when my dad was fishing it all the time it was an awesome lake for eyes. Now it has turned into a bass lake… at least that is all I catch when I go there. The lake has awesome structure and it is a shame what it has become as far as walleye fishing goes. I have some ideas as far as what has happen as well… the same thing that has happened to Big Round.

I was just checking to see if anybody else has had a difference experience.

red89
    Hudson

What are you thinking happened that you are being so secretive about? I haven’t caught a walleye for probably 5 years out of there, but now every time i go i just bass fish anyway, so couldn’t really tell you much about the walleye population. Maybe all the tons of little bass in that lake are eating all the walleye fingerling, like I am told is going on on balsam.

muskychaser
    Prescott, Wi

Throw some mangnum Bulldawgs, every year I catch at least one 28incher, that gets my heart racing but then its just a walleye, still caught a few on tipups, shallow in Bear trap, They are still there!

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

According to the DNR Study Wappogasset has a good number of or a healthy population of walleye. I have heard stories of the good ‘ol walleye days on Wappo and then it was opened to the Natives for spearing and the population thinned out. I believe Wappo still has a good walleye population and if you find the rite locals you will here tales of walleyes being caught in recent time. I believe just like any other body of water put in your time and fish every method imaginable for them and you are bound to come across 1 or 2. I have become very intrigued with Wappo and it’s extremely elusive walleye and have been on and will be on a mission to pull a walleye from that lake and I have a very strong feeling I am getting close and am hoping to pull a walleye out of Wappo within the next year. In my opinion fishin at it’s best

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

I don’t doubt that they are there… but they are surely not the predominant species in the lake like they used to be. Bass have became the predominant fish. I think the bass population has to go down for the walleye population to come back up.

You are correct though Jesse, if you fish it enough you will eventually boat a few, you just have to figure out how to keep the bass off your hook long enough for an eye to find your bait.

Jake_A

Yeah, Balsam has been affected in the same way with the bass. Im only 18, and have been fishing it for 9 years….but the walleyes are on a comeback in balsam. I think the regulations are finally working along with the stocking efforts. When we head out in the summer to fish them, we can usually pick up 3-4 good sized fish…

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

I think all the bass guys need to start keeping some bass on these lakes.

Pax
    Woodville, WI

The smaller bass taste better….. or so I’m told. Maybe Mike told me that!

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Quote:

The smaller bass taste better….. or so I’m told. Maybe Mike told me that!

Mike don’t like bass!

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

has anyone been out recently on the lake? thinking about maybe getting out tehre for some bass tomorrow.

thanks,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.