Walmart Straight Talk Plans?????

• Steve Plantz
    Participant
    SE MN

Anyone here use Walmart Straight Talk for your cell phone plan? How do you like it? Would like to hear pros & cons.

deertracker
    Participant

I have it and have had no issues with it. I never have issues with drop calls and data seems pretty fast. The only downside is you have to pay straight up for your phone which can he spendy.
    DT

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I personally wouldn’t spend a penny at Walmart. had friends that had them they dumped them and went back to verizon.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Wallmart….FMBucky!!!

#1 in retail sales
    #1 in employees who are still receiving government assistance due to low income.

Their low prices…and you pay their bill in taxes.(government assistance)

blush crazy doah frown tongue

coffee

deertracker
    Participant

And if I have to pay at least double for my cell phone I will be on it as well. coffee
    DT

puddlepounder
    Participant
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I have the T-Mobile plan. It is the same as the WalMart plan, only $5 more a month and you get the full support from T-Mobile. The coverage isn’t as good as Verizon, but it works for me. I have had this no contract plan since it was first offered a few years ago and ha e been happy with it. Check out T-Mobile, they offer more phone choices, have good customer support and you can pay for the phone/phones interest free over two years if you don’t want to shell out $500 to $600 a phone in one lump sum.

Fisherpaul
    Participant

I have tracfone and it works great. Basic phone and get good reception even in the woods.

icenutz
    Participant
    Aniwa, WI

The straight talk plan uses Verizon towers, good coverage, unlimited data, calling, and text for under $50 is hard to beat. Yes you need your own phone.

puddlepounder
    Participant
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

One of walmarts plan uses Verizon and the other uses T-Mobile. That is what I remember from two years ago. If memory serves me right, the Verizon plan cost more than the T-Mobile plan. I don’t think Verizon has a no contract plan.

deertracker
    Participant

Straight talk uses Verizon towers and is an unlimited plan.
    DT

deertracker
    Participant

Just looked at my bill and straight talk comes to $49.93 a month for their unlimited plan.
    DT

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

And if I have to pay at least double for my cell phone I will be on it as well. coffee
    DT

???? seriously??????????

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Paul L said
    “I have tracfone and it works great. Basic phone and get good treception even in the woods.

Walmart is working with tracfone for this program.

Steve P if you use a smart phone more than 2.5 gbs expect to be throteled down in data speed.

weldon
    Participant
    Rochester, Mn

You might want to price http://www.ting.com which uses the sprint cell network. You pay for what you use. The incremental increase for additional minutes is reasonable.

youngfry
    Participant
    Northeast Iowa

I have it. Haven’t found a con yet. The obvious pros are the savings. My wife and I pay $98 total/ month whereas with Verizon we would have been paying about $180/mo AND had limited data and minutes. Our plan everything is unlimited. Yes they put a high-speed data usage limit of 2.5 GB/ mo but if you go over your internet just slows down… you don’t get charged like if you go over with Verizon. Yes you have to buy your own phone… but like I said, we’re saving about $1,000/year so if you figure 2 years (the life of most cell contracts) then thats $2,000. We could each get the very newest iphone and still save money over those two years. We got older phones for about $150 each so we made up the cost in a couple months AND we have no overages.

Bob D
    Participant

I have had straight talk for nearly two years and wouldn’t switch to any other service. As an initial matter Straight talk is not Walmart. Walmart happens to sell straight talk phones and services. I purchased mine right from Straight Talk and never entered a walmart. A couple of things to clarify previous posts, straight talk doesn’t only run on verizon towers, it actually uses all of the major carrier towers, i.e. At&t, verizon, T-Moible. The catch is that depending on your phone it may prefer certain provider towers. For example, I live in Northern Minnesota and know that AT&T provides the best reception in the area. Thus, I purchased an unlocked AT&T phone (samsung S4) off of ebay. I then bought the sim card directly from Straight Talk which allows me to get their service. Since my phone is an AT&T unlocked phone it will automatically prefer AT&T towers even if verizon or T-mobile is providing a stronger signal. However, if I am in an area where there is not an AT&T signal it will pick up service from one of the other towers. With that being said I don’t know if you buy an actual straight talk phone how you determine which towers it will prefer.

The only downside to Straight talk is if you need technical support it will be someone in India and not a store front down the road from you. Further, if you go the route that I did in purchasing an unlocked phone of ebay instead of an actual straight talk phone there is a little more up front time expense to get the phone set up for service. As someone previously pointed out, even after you pay a little more for the phone up front the savings in the long run can add up rather quickly. The other advantage to buying an “unlocked” phone is that I am not tied to straight talk either. If another carrier can provide as good of coverage for cheaper all I have to do is buy a new sim card and put it in my phone.

Hope that helps.

Walternator

river rat randy
    Participant
    Hager City WI

Wallmart….FMBucky!!!

#1 in retail sales
    #1 in employees who are still receiving government assistance due to low income.

Their low prices…and you pay their bill in taxes.(government assistance)

blush crazy doah frown tongue

coffee

…No One Needs One Of Those Damn UNIONS To Make a Living in This Day and Age..??!! YA RIGHT….rrr

Steve Plantz
    Participant
    SE MN

Time to bring this one back to the top, I wanted to let everyone know what I decided to do. I did dump Verizon, I did not go with Walmart Straight Talk, instead I found a AWESOME company called Consumer Cellular http://www.consumercellular.com

The main thing that sold me on this company is there awesome customer service, when you call them you only go through a couple of voice prompts and then you talk to a real person in the good old USA! Consumer Cellular’s customer service really reminds me of the old company Midwest Wireless.

The second thing I love about Consumer Cellular is there prices, first you get a ten percent discount if you are a AARP Member. There largest data / text plan is called Connect Max 15,000 text messages per month and 2.5GB of data per month with my AARP discount I pay $28.50 per month. I choose 600 voice minuets for $19 a month with my AARP discount. I have 3 smart phones on my plan each additional phone is $9.50 with my AARP discount. My total bill for 3 smart phones is $66.50 per month!!! Also there are no contracts to sign it is month to month and there is a 30 day trial period if you are not happy with them you get a full refund. With no contracts to sign you do have to buy your phone and they do not have a large of selection of phones but that was not an issue for me, I went with a Motorola Moto G 2nd Gen and have been very happy with this phone.

The one thing I was a little leery of was that Consumer Cellular uses the AT&T network, I live next to a large hill so with some carriers getting a signal can be an issue, I do not get a signal in my basement but most of the time I had the same issue with Verizon, so other than no bars in my basement I have not had any other issues with the AT&T network.

If anyone here is interested in Consumer Cellular you can use me as a referral and both of us will get a $10 credit on our next bill just shoot me a PM as you will need my phone number to get the discount.

Larry McDonald
    Participant

I’m not sure I’d be banging that union drum so loudly. I hear the city of Detroit is looking for drummers in their union band

Larry McDonald
    Participant

sorry about that I deleted my own post so I’ll say it again. Don’t go banging that union drum so loudly, I hear the city of Detroit is looking for drummers in their union band

Steve Plantz
    Participant
    SE MN

I am surprised that there has been no other replies to this thread, I am curious if anyone else is a Consumer Cellular customer or have you heard of them or checked them out?

Buzz
    Participant
    Minneapolis MN

While this is an old thread, how are folks doing with their cell phone plans. Is consumer cellular still doing a good job for you? I just bought Moto G 3rd gen phones from Republic but the sound is so weak(sm speaker)that I can’t use them in an Otter Box. Has anyone found something new and cost effective?

trumar
    Participant
    Rochester, Mn

Anyone here use Walmart Straight Talk for your cell phone plan? How do you like it? Would like to hear pros & cons.

I am surprised that there has been no other replies to this thread, I am curious if anyone else is a Consumer Cellular customer or have you heard of them or checked them out?

STRAIGHT TALK ALL THE WAY for $45 a month and can even buy a Straight talk chip for most phone to concert over !!!!

Jesse Krook
    Participant
    Y.M.H.

Dumped T-Mobile, they sucked. Would never go back to them.

mnrabbit
    Participant
    South Central Minnesota

Dumped T-Mobile, they sucked. Would never go back to them.

I will second that. As soon as I was outside of the Twin Cities Metro area it was a crapshoot if I would have reception or not.

Ryan Scholl
    Participant

i had Verizon and switched to straight talk’s Verizon plan. I went back to Verizon after a year of using straight talk.

deertracker
    Participant

Why did you go back?
    DT

roger
    Participant

my wife uses st and really never had a problem. just recently switch to a samsung s5 smart phone and the transfer from her old phone to the new was flawless. just did it on the computer and done if a few minutes. 5g’s of data but never comclose to using it.

Ryan Scholl
    Participant

Why did you go back?
    DT

I was never getting the reception that actual Verizon phones were getting when i would be away from larger cities. I was told directly from straight talk and Verizon that Straight talk leases towers from Verizon, but not all of them. So in some areas Verizon is better. When I was on hunting and fishing trips I wanted my phone to work when i needed it.

It came down getting better reception. For others, they might not have that problem. My parents did the same thing. Plus, a good phone was so expensive through them.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.