pool 2 saugeye!

• jiggin-rake
    Participant
    inver grove heights, minnesota

My buddy Chris caught this saugeye earlier today shorefishing pool 2.

trumar
    Participant
    Rochester, Mn

Sweet

Pete Bauer
    Participant
    Stillwater, MN

Cool!

I’ve caught more Saugeyes on P2 this year than I can remember in the past.

Nice fish!

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Very nice. Good to see that spot still kicking out fish for you. You hit your high water spot up by 494 yet this year.

Hit a couple of trolling runs today real quick with picking up a few fish off each on. One shore spot we hit kicked out a couple of fish to. Biggest find for us today was the mushrooms. Got a couple of nice bags full of them.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Hmm, that looks like 1 of 2 spots I have fished.

sippiriverrat
    Participant
    Andover MN.

I’ve caught a few down there, but none that big!! nice fish

mikes-jigs
    Participant
    Red Wing, MN

What is a good way to tell the difference between a regular walleye or a regular sauger apart from a saugeye?

jiggin-rake
    Participant

Walleye will have white tip tail. Sauger will have black dots on dorsal fin. Saugeye will have both. I could be wrong buts that’s what I go by. Yea I was pretty jealous but also really happy for my buddy when he caught it.

jiggin-rake
    Participant

Looks like a nice find there mike! I don’t like mushrooms but those look delicious for some reason.

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

You will need to go looking fast if you want to find some. Found many that where drying up all ready. Not to many days left for picking them.

jiggin-rake
    Participant

Lol I tried for 5 hours and gave up. I can’t find a morel to save my life.

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Quote:

What is a good way to tell the difference between a regular walleye or a regular sauger apart from a saugeye?

Saugeye have the body of a walleye, head of a walleye (sometimes elongated a bit like a sauger), USUALLY blotches like a sauger, always a white tip (unless rubbed off), and ALWAYS sauger spots on the dorsal fin.

We caught one a few years back that had so little sauger in it that it looked exactly like a walleye, but had sauger spots on the dorsal. I was a little skeptical about throwing it on the stringer but it was a legal fish even if it was a walleye. If it was not a legal sized “walleye” it would have went back. Luckily that afternoon the local CO came and checked us and confirmed it was a saugeye. He said it likely was the spawn of a saugeye and a walleye and that is why it looked so much like an eye and nothing like a sauger. That is the only one I have caught or seen caught that I could not identify instantly that it was a saugeye.

I have caught saugers with white tails and walleyes with blotches, so be careful when identifying them. If you have a smart phone, look up some pictures before tossing a short walleye in the livewell by accident. When in doubt throw it out!

There are some very good pictures on the net on how to tell the three apart.

jakeh
    Participant
    White Bear Twp

That is a good one

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.