Walleye wings?

• jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    Participant
    SW Michigan

Hi Guys and Gals,

Cleaned some walleyes and harvested the fillets, cheeks, and the walleye wings. Have never harvested the wing portion of walleyes before and look forward to frying them up and trying them. Couple days ago we cleaned some crappies and got to thinking if you can harvest the wing portion of these. Anybody ever try it with crappies? Just curious if it would work?

Jensen
    Participant

Never tried crappies before but the walleye seem to not have much meat for the effort of cleaning that portion imo.

Karry Kyllo
    Participant

I’m not sure there’d be much meat on a crappie wing but it wouldn’t hurt to give it a try. I keep wings from big white bass we get at Devils Lake in addition to walleyes and they aren’t bad either.

I keep wings all summer and then use them for football snacks later on in the year.

blackbay
    Participant

Do you descale the wings?

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

Where the he!! are the wings located?

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    Participant
    SW Michigan

Chuck100, not sure how to attach link for video but if you search walleye wings there are some good videos out there that explain it.

Blackbay, check out video from anglingedge on walleye cheeks and wings. He talks about it. I haven’t cooked them before but looked tasty.

Jenson, seemed semi easy to harvest the wings and the walleyes we had were just eater size and they have a nice chunk of meat from what I could tell.

Karry, how do you prepare the white bass wings?

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

Where the he!! are the wings located?

the cut under the throat with the fins(wings) the chunky eyes have a decent chunk of meat under there. i wouldn’t be saving the wings from 16 inchers.

Deuces
    Participant

Armchair biology tells me the fatty belly area of the fish such as a wing would carry more contaminates than other meat.

I don’t often keep the wings, but when I do they are from cold clean water fish and they are absolutely delicious. Very little to do with taste for me, the texture is what sets it apart. Reminds me of a scallop.

welliou
    Participant

Do you take off the skin and fins?

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    Participant
    SW Michigan

Mr. Beads, I thought about the contaminates also. Thats why I thought smaller legal fish was the way to go. Not sure though.

Welliou, from video’s I have seen just clean them up. Check out the angling edge video on walleye wings and see what you think.

Appreciate you guys replying because the use of the wings is all new to me.

Karry Kyllo
    Participant

Chuck100, not sure how to attach link for video but if you search <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye wings there are some good videos out there that explain it.

Blackbay, check out video from anglingedge on walleye cheeks and wings. He talks about it. I haven’t cooked them before but looked tasty.

Jenson, seemed semi easy to harvest the wings and the walleyes we had were just eater size and they have a nice chunk of meat from what I could tell.

Karry, how do you prepare the white <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass wings?

I deep fry white bass wings just like walleye wings.

Craig Sery
    Participant
    Bloomington, MN

I’ve tried it with perch, crappie and northern and not much meat on those species

Jesse Krook
    Participant
    Y.M.H.

Walleye Cheeks are better.

chappy
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

I agree… Tried them out in Devils lake and wasn’t a fan!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.