Walleye reel recommendation

• Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Looking for two matching reels for me and my daughter. These will be for pitching jigs. I would like to keep it under a hundred bucks a piece. I looked at some okumas online but they had bad reviews about plastic handles breaking. Also wondering about the size if I would want a ten or twenty or ? Going to be putting these on seven foot fenwicks . I haven’t decided if I’ll get med lights or med. we do run into a lot of smaller pike .

Deuces

I switched to mostly okuma for spinning. Epixors and an inspira. Size 30s and 20s.

Very solid reels so far. I wasn’t getting more than couple years out of my pfluegers, then shimanos. Have a tatula but who the heck wants to spend that money on every reel.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Anyone have any experience with a penn pursuit 111. Has thousands of good reviews and looks like it’s 70 to 80 bucks.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I run Penn Battle 2’s in the 2000 and 2500 series on a lot of my pitching setups. Penns are super solid across the whole line.

The other reel I would look at is the daiwa BG. I have a few of the 2000 series and they are very solid.

You can’t go wrong with either and both are under a hundred bucks.

I would go with 2000 or 2500….3000 is overkill. I’ve tangled with a lot of big pike on the Penn and Daiwa reels without issues.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Diawa are nice reels, was impressed with drag so bought another

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

Take a look at the Daiwa Fuego size 20 or 25. Very light with super smooth drag.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Daiwa seems to have solid offerings throughout all price ranges. Definitely been happy with the ones I have and none of them have been over your budgeted price.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I’m on the reel hunt too. I had great luck with the ones I bought in the early 90s. Used them a ton, Shimano Symetre. I have 6 – 1000, 2 – 2000 & 1 – 3000. So buying 6-8 reels is expensive. Plus I MUST have extra spools. I narrowed it down to:

Daiwa Revros 2000 – $50 Spool – $8 I bought one for ice fishing and was surprised in the quality for the price. BUT, how long will a $50 last???

Daiwa Fuego 2500 – $100 Spool – $25 Heard good things here and from Al Linder.

Pflueger President XT – $130 Spool ??? Looking.

Anyone have specific experience with these?

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

I’ve had a few issues with high end Pfluegers anti-reverse failing in cold weather. It has failed on 2 of them when temps are in the 30’s. Works fine again when it warms up.
    I’ve gone with the Daiwa reels the last few years with excellent results.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ve had a few issues with high end Pfluegers anti-reverse failing in cold weather. It has failed on 2 of them when temps are in the 30’s. Works fine again when it warms up.
    I’ve gone with the Daiwa reels the last few years with excellent results.

X2 on the Pflueger anti reverse. smash

-J.

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Bringing up an old topic, but I finally decided to replace my spinning reels that are both 20+ years old. They still work great and I’m keeping them as emergency spares.

But I went and bought 2 of the Daiwa Regal LT 2500s. So excited to use them on my Canada trip in a couple weeks!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I too have Daiwa BG’s solid!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I have had good luck with Okuma Epixor. I just bought 2 of the 30 size for pitching because the spool is a larger diameter. The 20 is pretty small.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I ended up getting two Penn pursuits 2500 , super happy with them.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

But I went and bought 2 of the Daiwa Regal LT 2500s. So excited to use them on my Canada trip in a couple weeks!

I like these reels so much I have most of my rods switched over now. Also bought 2 extra sitting on the shelf for future use. waytogo

-J.

Erik Swenson

You will like them Weekender. Good choice!

LabDaddy1

Now that some of you mention the cold weather pfleuger issues I’ll chime in- a couple years ago I bought a somewhat cheap rod for banging around on the river shore(won’t take my nicer rods if I’m shore fishing) and paired it initially with a president 2500 or 3000 class reel. The thing was very stiff reeling and drag wasn’t the best. It was only in the mid-upper 40’s that day. Have since been a daiwa guy

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.