Walleye fishing minnesota

• boos1906

Hey guys I live in Omaha. Looking for places to walleye fish. Wanting some day trips of like 2-4 hours of Omaha and then some weekend trips like 4-6 hours. We fish oahe and sharpe in South Dakota. But are kind of looking for something closer honestly. Can I get to any Minnesota lakes in 4-6 hours from Omaha? I’m not sure how far the boarder is.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

SW corner of Minnesota. Pull out a atlas and take a look.

Krh129

I think Big Stone Lake fits in your time frame and I think Alexandria and Willmar Minn would be close. Both have a number of walleye lakes. Sportsman Connection puts out an atlas for those areas to get you started.

boos1906

I think Big Stone Lake fits in your time frame and I think Alexandria and Willmar Minn would be close. Both have a number of <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye lakes. Sportsman Connection puts out an atlas for those areas to get you started.

Thanks for your help. I will google sportsmen connection.

tornadochaser

You could always follow all of the other NE and IA plates up 29 and then hang a left on 12 to go to Webster, SD.

5 hour drive, and you’ll have a lot easier time finding walleyes vs the Alex or Willmar areas. But both of those areas are great weekend destinations with plenty of lakes to try out.

boos1906

try out.
    [/quote]

You could always follow all of the other NE and IA plates up 29 and then hang a left on 12 to go to Webster, SD.

5 hour drive, and you’ll have a lot easier time finding walleyes vs the Alex or Willmar areas. But both of those areas are great weekend destinations with plenty of lakes to try out.

The glacial lakes region kind of scares me honestly. I’ve been told those lakes aren’t mapped very well? I was also told lots of hazards to take out a prop or lower unit.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I just looked at the Navionics App on my phone. There are many lakes in the glacial region of NW South Dakota that are in 1 ft contours, and many others with 5′ contours. I think you’ll be OK. As with any lake, take it easy the first time out. Establish your own trails.

big_g
    Isle, MN

5-6 hours. I would try Green Lake in Spicer, MN. Nice lake and area !

boos1906

Thanks everyone. Keep the responses coming.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Webster SD has endless opportunities. Alexandria, or ottertail area as well

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Omaha, huh? Reminds me of a Bob Dylan lyric. “Honey, how come you don’t MOVE?” grin

On the Road Again

tim hurley

I would check a baitstore before going to Stone, have heard it is not fun to fish mid-summer, algea and lots of recreational boaters-the lake is a great mult-species lake and maybe not a true ‘walleye factory’. I think its a cool lake and have been trying to get out there.

tornadochaser

I would check a baitstore before going to Stone, have heard it is not fun to fish mid-summer, algea and lots of recreational boaters-the lake is a great mult-species lake and maybe not a true ‘walleye factory’. I think its a cool lake and have been trying to get out there.

Worth it in the summer to try to catch and release 11″ bluegills on light tackle. mrgreen

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Omaha to chamberlain Sd, Webster SD, Alexandria MN, Red Wing MN are all 4-6 hour drives. All would be great waters to put time in and be greatly rewarded.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Otter Tail. 6 to 6 1/2hr drive. Lots of fine folks from the Omaha area make their way to the area every weekend.

Doug Morrow

Iowa Great Lakes are great for fishing. Okoboji gets to be like a washing machine on the weekends in the summer, but we still caught fish on a hot Saturday last year. We went back in early November and boji showed me how good it could be. Multi species awesomeness. Did not try Spirit lake, but have heard it’s great also.
    I live in a Des Moines suburb. It’s four hours for me but it’s worth it for a two dayer. It’s one of the best in Iowa for sure.

There are three lakes in southern Iowa that have walleye. Three mile, Twelve mile, and Little river. None of them are real easy to fish for walleyes but they’re in there. Dad’s bait shop is in Afton, IA just a few miles from Three and Twelve. Three mile and Little river have a recreation area and some no wake zone. Twelve mile is 5mph throughout.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Alex area today
    20”er
    24’ fow
    Leech under a cork
    8 between us 3
    Fish all over but not too hungry

Attachments:
    1. BC6E733C-ED83-45CF-95F5-4BA2467BE3A3-scaled.jpeg

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Nice fish EP looks freshly defrosted.Congratulations.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.