Vintage solid glass rods

• KwickStick
    Participant
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

The other day I was over at a buddies place and I spotted these old ice rods in a corner. He said they were his grandfathers and he said “Take them!” So I did and they are both 47″ solid glass rods. The backbone starts about where the wooden handle begins. Lol!

Anyway I was quickly realized that being the heavier solid glass they are easy to hold dead steady. I compared them to my long modern rods and they are noticeably steadier.

Then I thought, why not clean them up and use them for shallow water hole hopping? The guides and tips are pretty tarnished, so another thought was to have someone replace them with a set of modern guides and new tips. A set of heavier guides would probably make them even steadier. I’d replace the old line wrap reels with something like rattle reels.

Dumb idea? I’m a tinkerer by nature, so this really appeals to me. Maybe keep one and give the other back to my buddy.

Nah, I’d keep both of them.

KwickStick
    Participant

Anyone in the LaCrosse/Winona area up for replacing these guides?

IceNEyes1986
    Participant
    Harris, MN

I can’t help with the restoration process, but I too have a few of these old vintage rods. I got 3 ice rods that were my Great Grandpa’s at some point in time. I also have 2 longer rods, about 5 footers, from my grandpa on the other side of the family. Only one ice rod is missing a reel. I’ve kept them in a safe place. Maybe a little more sentimental for me, I don’t plan on using them.. They will just be decoration pieces for me to look at whenever I get my garage in order and heated. Very neat!

Snake ii’s
    Participant

I collect vintage fishing – I would keep them “as is”. Once you modify them, they will be worth next to nothing.

I’ll pay you twice what you paid for them.

KwickStick
    Participant

Ya, you’re right. They are best kept as is.

The guides are cleaning up nicely with emery cloth.

The “reel” on the one is pretty neat. The little spring-loaded ring must be a hook keeper.

deertracker
    Participant

No! Don’t “Restore” them. lol.
    DT

deertracker
    Participant

I’m glad you came to your senses while I was typing my post. rotflol
    DT

KwickStick
    Participant

Any idea how much they are worth? I’m not a collector, so I’d either attach a fly reel and use them for hole-hopping shallow water or just sell them. My buddy was going to throw them away.

trytoofish
    Participant
    sw Mn.

Any idea how much they are worth? I’m not a collector, so I’d either attach a fly reel and use them for hole-hopping shallow water or just sell them. My buddy was going to throw them away.

Does sentimental have a price? they were your grandfathers. priceless in my book.

KwickStick
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>KwickStick wrote:</div>

Does sentimental have a price? they were your grandfathers. priceless in my book.

Like I said in my original post they were my friend’s grandfather’s rods. My friend didn’t want them. I have too much of my own tackle, so I really don’t want them either despite getting a little interested in trying one.

Maybe now that I’ve cleaned them up a little I’ll see if he wants them back. I doubt it though. He’s just not into the sentimental thing.

KwickStick
    Participant

I just chatted with another buddy who really likes vintage sporting goods and he’s going to take them. It’s a win/win. The rods will be in good hands and he’ll appreciate them just the way they are.

Snake ii’s
    Participant

Awesome. Don’t start collecting vintage fishing – started with my Dad and Grandpas lures and ice fishing gear. I now have ~ 3k lures, 10 or so minnow buckets, 8 metal tackle boxes and an assortment of rods/reels/tip-ups.

sand-burr
    Participant
    Grasston, MN

Awesome. Don’t start collecting vintage fishing – started with my Dad and Grandpas lures and ice fishing gear. I now have ~ 3k lures, 10 or so minnow buckets, 8 metal tackle boxes and an assortment of rods/reels/tip-ups.

Started with a green box… Now I cant seem to walk by one in good shape. I now have a couple minnow buckets, old hand auger, hole warmer…
    Will go in the man cave once built.

KwickStick
    Participant

I already have too many obsessions. redface

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

I have had multiple people contact me about redoing old rods. I can’t bring myself to do it. I would keep it how it is and put it up on the wall. Yes it would be fun to have them redone and make new memories with them but you can get a new rod built with a similar blank and action.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.