Vietnam Veterans Day

• Dan
    Southeast MN

March 29th is Vietnam Veteran’s Day. There are no words at all to convey the gratitude and support we should have for the people that went through what they did in Vietnam. Also being 2023, it’s been 50 years since the major troop and major combat operations from the U.S. ended there (1973).

There are millions of truly unbelievable stories about what our troops went through in Vietnam. Going out in the field for days or weeks in rainy/swampy conditions so bad that the next time you took your socks off layers of skin from your feet came with. Encountering snakes and even tigers in jungles. Booby traps, some explosive and some involving sharpened sticks in covered up holes. Viet Cong blending in with the population. Mountainous, jungle terrain. Helicopter pilots risking everything to get the wounded out.

To all the veterans of the Vietnam War, a grateful nation thanks you.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

March 29th is Vietnam Veteran’s Day. There are no words at all to convey the gratitude and support we should have for the people that went through what they did in Vietnam. Also being 2023, it’s been 50 years since the major troop and major combat operations from the U.S. ended there (1973).

There are millions of truly unbelievable stories about what our troops went through in Vietnam. Going out in the field for days or weeks in rainy/swampy conditions so bad that the next time you took your socks off layers of skin from your feet came with. Encountering snakes and even tigers in jungles. Booby traps, some explosive and some involving sharpened sticks in covered up holes. Viet Cong blending in with the population. Mountainous, jungle terrain. Helicopter pilots risking everything to get the wounded out.

To all the veterans of the Vietnam War, a grateful nation thanks you.

waytogo toast X100!!!!!!!!!!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

It was well before my time, but I was quite interested in Vietnam in high school and read a lot about it. I’m sure there are some vets here–THANK YOU!!!

We toured the memorial in DC several years ago. It’s incredibly moving.

orve4

Thank you to all who served and still serving today you are what makes this country great.

Jimmy Jones

I lost several friends to the war. I know of many more that came hime with just plain ugly injuries.

Many thanks to those who came home, many more for those who gave their all.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thank you Vietnam Vets! Words you should have heard when you got home in the first place. Sorry about how you were treated.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Thank you Vietnam Vets for your service and sacrifice!

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

Thank you for remembering us. We were very young and we did our best to serve our country.

Attachments:
    1. A229thformation.jpg

2. vhpachinabeach1.jpeg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Thank you Vietnam Vets! Words you should have heard when you got home in the first place. Sorry about how you were treated.

X1000 – Your Country and its people owed you far more than you received. I’m sure that this doesn’t make up for it, but to all of you I say THANK YOU !!!!

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Thank you Vietnam Vets!!

nord

The memories of Vietnam never go away!!

topshotta

My Dad was on a PBR, does not talk about it and definitely has endured a lifetime of PTSD. It was especially upsetting to him when George Bush Jr. had the audacity to call John Kerry’s service into question, considering Kerry’s Silver Star, Bronze Star and Purple Heart. (and dubya’s national guard strategy to avoid Army conscription) When John McCain was insulted by cadet bone spurs, we went through another rough patch. Grateful he is not among the 50,000 Vietnam Veterans we have lost to suicide.

Umy
    South Metro

THanks to all of our vets – I wish everyone “understood” what your sacrifice meant and why they have what they have.
    Can never be grateful enough!

gonefishin

Huge thank you to the Vietnam vets. I used to work with a couple. They never spoke much of their experiences.

I graduated high school in 73 and was pretty fascinated with the war, every day after coming home from high school, the first thing I did was pick up the newspaper and read the daily updates. At that time I was a big supporter and my draft number would have put in service if the war hadn’t ended.
    I ended up going into the Air Force anyway and some the Air Force guys had some interesting stories, they really weren’t in danger, lived off base, and had 100’s of naked pictures of their Vietnamese girls. Not like my friends at work.

Just FYI for you veterans. The Take A Vet Fishing comes to Mille Lacs every summer and puts on a huge get together. They will put you up the night before, have a launch fishing the night before, have guided fishing, then lunch and a thank you program. If you want to spend a great day fishing Mille Lacs, find their web site and sign up. They do a fantastic job.

Also one of the main persons involved with the effort is now partial owner at Thorne Bros in case you want to put some thank you business their way.

MX1825

Thanks to all Veterans! Vietnam Vets went through hell over there and when they got home. Many thanks for your service.
    Lost 2 of my good friends to cancer that was caused by Agent Orange. flame

AK Guy

Dan, thanks for bringing this to attention today. I am proud of all who fought for this country.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

Thanks to all Veterans! Vietnam Vets went through hell over there and when they got home. Many thanks for your service.
    Lost 2 of my good friends to cancer that was caused by Agent Orange. flame

Dad was a Marine. dropped into country at hamburger hill. Died of esophageal cancer caused by agent orange.

Thank you vets and love you all!

stevenoak

The treatment of Viet Nam veterans, not our Countys finest moment. I have volunteered with multiple veteran organizations and had the privilege of accompanying a group of V.N. Veterans as a Guardian on the Honor Flight. I was amazed, second to helping one of my Veterans find his buddies name on the Memorial Wall. That he went through 12 years, in a small country school with. That was among the last 100 to lose his life in the war. The most emotional moment for many of the Veterans, was the Welcome Home at the airport when they arrived home about 10:30pm from DC. Our local chapter averages around 300 welcoming them home after each flight. I’ve heard them say, they especially enjoy seeing children in the crowd. Something they were wrongly not given when they came home from the war. I will attend every one I’m able from now on.
    For a good account of the war from someone that was in the thick of it. Check out. “Abandon in Hell” by William Albracht. It is probably the hardest book to put down I’ve ever read. Thank You to all Veterans.

MX1825

phishingruven so sorry for your loss.

mojogunter

My dad was there as well and died from a brain tumor. I am not sure if it was from being in Vietnam or not, but there is a good chance it had some thing to do with it. My dad didn’t talk about it unless I asked. He didn’t have any mental issues with being there. He did mention that he never saw, or experienced anything truly awful like it sounds like some had happen to them.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.