Vermilion Reports

• dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Headed up to Vermilion tomorrow for a week long family vacation. Will be staying in Daisy Bay. Anyone have recent reports on water temps/ what depths they have been catching fish/ anything that has been working for them. We will primarily be targeting Walleye , but will also try for smallmouth and crappies also.

For bait shops what do you guys recommend. I know there is the Y store that I have gone to in the past. Anyone know if they sell leeches by the lb and not just by the dozen?

Been probably 5 years since I have been on this lake so really looking forward to it. We stayed in big bay last time so not too far from where we will be this year.

Anyone have any suggestions for cool lunch break spots on the lake? It looks like there are a handful of “shore lunch spots” that have docks and picnic tables so I want to try that at least once.

Will try and post a report of how the fishing is for us to help anyone else that might be going up in the near future.

Aboxy17

I would check out the Outdoor Minnesota forum. They have a very updated Vermillion thread going.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

I found that one the other day Austin! I am not a member on that site, but have been checking that thread the past few days. Thanks for the tip.

haleysgold
    SE MN

My brother lives up there and fishes V often.

He said they are getting a lot of walleyes, 16/17 inchers. Nothing very big right now.
    Crappies will be tough to get but bass are pretty easy.
    He usually drags leeches.

Good luck!

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

About half way thru our trip and have had decent success catching walleyes and smallmouth. Lot of really small short walleyes in the 13 to 15 inch range. Biggest is only 16 inches unfortunately. Have caught all fish under 10 feet. Trolling small #5 flicker shads at about 2.3mph in wind blown bays in the evening has been lights out. Targeting 8 to 10 feet of water for trolling has worked.

SoDakangler

Anyone have a recent report? Heading up this weekend to brave the weather. That’s what happens when you have to plan this far in advance. May end up trying plastics and jigging raps to avoid the freezing my hands with the water of the minnow bucket

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I don’t have a recent report. But I did go up there last year last weekend of October and faced colder than desirable conditions. 1/8oz jig with a fathead deadsticked was about the only thing that could get a fish to go. Was hoping Id find them shallow but they were all in 25’+ around Ely Island and HooDoo Pt.

Erik Swenson

Also was up there last year late October/early November. Jig and minnow bite largely. Deeper on sunny, calm days 25-28′ and shallower when overcast/breezy 14-16′ has been my experience. Have done well out by Moose and Comet Islands. Outside the entrance to Everetts Bay can be a good numbers spot at times, as well. Those are just some of the common spots. Plenty of lesser known for you to find too.

gander, where did you find 25′ out around Hoodoo? Is there a hole somewhere out there? I haven’t marked anything over 8′ in Pike Bay. Haven’t covered the entire thing though to be fair.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Also was up there last year late October/early November. Jig and minnow bite largely. Deeper on sunny, calm days 25-28′ and shallower when overcast/breezy 14-16′ has been my experience. Have done well out by Moose and Comet Islands. Outside the entrance to Everetts Bay can be a good numbers spot at times, as well. Those are just some of the common spots. Plenty of lesser known for you to find too.

gander, where did you find 25′ out around Hoodoo? Is there a hole somewhere out there? I haven’t marked anything over 8′ in Pike Bay. Haven’t covered the entire thing though to be fair.

I was thinking the same thing about Hoodoo! Even that mouth of Everett’s can be worth a look

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Will be heading up there Friday until Monday also. Plan to fish for muskies though. Will be going out of Tower. Can’t wait.

SoDakangler

Will be heading up there Friday until Monday also. Plan to fish for muskies though. Will be going out of Tower. Can’t wait.

We’ll be spending a lot of time in big bay. If you see a black Lund full of guys having a good time stop by for a shot of fireball!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bzzsaw wrote:</div>

We’ll be spending a lot of time in big bay. If you see a black Lund full of guys having a good time stop by for a shot of fireball!

Looks like you might want to pack a shovel and ice scraper!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Would be great to run into you. We will be fishing around Big Bay also Saturday through Monday. I have a Black/Red Alumacraft Trophy with a Suzuki motor. It will be me and a buddy. We will have another buddy in his boat that is a white Alumacraft Trophy with a Suzuki also. I’m guessing they will be fishing by us also. Best of luck to you.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

What island have you been hiding behind? The ride from Indian point to tower for lunch sucked.

SoDakangler

Behind pine island hasn’t been too bad. Still cold but at least the wind is cut down. I come from moccasin point so that makes it easier.

Walleye fishing has been really good but the bites haven’t been real aggressive. Hope the muskies have been moving for you guys.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

How was fishing. Staying on Pike Bay for the next few days. Focusing on grouse but wouldn’t mind bringing the boat with the forecast.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

How was fishing. Staying on <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Pike Bay for the next few days. Focusing on grouse but wouldn’t mind bringing the boat with the forecast.

Hopefully the wind will die down a bit over the next couple days. We were after muskies and didn’t have any success. We came out of Pike Bay each day. The North wind kind of sucks once you get our of Pike Bay. We caught 1 decent pike. There were guys staying at the hotel that were cleaning walleyes and perch at night. Not sure where they got them though. Sunday night we got another inch of snow. Hwy 169 to Virginia was a skating ring. Good luck.

Attachments:
    1. Vermilion-1.jpg

2. vermilion-3.jpg

3. vermilion-2.jpg

SoDakangler

The walleye fishing was great and only going to get better. Caught them all the way from casting to shore down to 35 feet. They’re just everywhere right now and they are hungry. Only got to fish my preferred spots one day because of the wind but it didn’t matter.

Clarence Chapman

Be sure to look in the leech box and make sure you are getting what you think. Bought a LG leech box and got mostly panfish size.

Didn’t use many of them. Found trolling Rattle Raps in 6-8 feet of water early mornings and late afternoon evenings over rock was the ticket. Didn’t have much luck during the day.

Large sunfish are pretty much off the beds or have been hit so hard there are not many left.

There are still some bass on the nests.

That was my week June 18-25th

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.