venison bacon cheese burger

• haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

I’ve done this past, ground venison with bacon and high temp cheese added but can’t find the recipe.
    Has anyone made it?

Cheddar or Pepper Jack cheese?
    Bacon cooked or raw and then ground up with venison?

I was thinking Pepper Jack high temp cheese and cooking the bacon.
    Cooked bacon would be better but then it wouldn’t keep as moist on the grill either as raw bacon.

Wish I could find my recipe back. It was good the last time I made it. Dammit.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Can’t help with that Brian as I don’t do vennie burger of any kind. Other than cured sausage that is.

Here’s hoping you and Dawn have a great Christmas bud!

tight_lines
    Participant
    SE Minnesota

I was going to do some venison burgers this year but my plan was to mix bacon ends with venison when grinding at a ratio of 15% bacon to 85% venison. I would then patty the burgers and freeze on a cookie sheet. Thought of packaging them up frozen in packs of 4 after all that. (No mess when you go to cook this way and also consistent same sized burgers makes less guesswork when cooking)

I haven’t done it yet – I have to get through the holidays and then I will complete the grinding part of my deer processing.

If you already have ground venison I think I would go the route of cooking bacon separately and then frying the burgers in a cast iron with the bacon grease. Good luck!

Alagnak Pete
    Participant
    Lakeville

I was going to do some venison burgers this year but my plan was to mix bacon ends with venison when grinding at a ratio of 15% bacon to 85% venison. I would then patty the burgers and freeze on a cookie sheet. Thought of packaging them up frozen in packs of 4 after all that. (No mess when you go to cook this way and also consistent same sized burgers makes less guesswork when cooking)

This is what I do every year. They are great and stay juicy on the grill, even better in the fry pan with the bacon grease. The fat content makes them patty up nice and hold together. The only thing is I cook them them longer than I would beef burger so the bacon releases some grease even in the middle of the ground patty. As far as the cheese goes. Throw a slice of cheese on like a regular burger. High temp cheese is needed for sausage. It’s not cheap, and not the best tasting cheese by any stretch compared to regular cheeses. You’d only be adding to the cost.

haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

Can’t help with that Brian as I don’t do vennie burger of any kind. Other than cured sausage that is.

Here’s hoping you and Dawn have a great Christmas bud!

I did 25 lbs of venny bacon last week. Turned out great. Might even make another batch.

Merry Christmas to you and Carol!

haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

Pete – glad you reminded me. I do recall high temp cheese not tasting the best. Think I’ll skip mxing in the cheese and add a slice when cooking.
    Making pressed burgers and freezing sounds good too. Probably would never make anything but burgers out of it anyhow.

Alagnak Pete
    Participant
    Lakeville

Pete – glad you reminded me. I do recall high temp cheese not tasting the best. Think I’ll skip mxing in the cheese and add a slice when cooking.
    Making pressed burgers and freezing sounds good too. Probably would never make anything but burgers out of it anyhow.

That’s what I usually say but end up using this mix in meatballs and meatloaf too. But can always thaw out patties for that as well. I have a batch of veni/pork/beef meatballs in the oven right now for apps later tonight actually.

pass0047
    Participant
    Pool4

50% venison with ground chuck and mix high temp cheese and bacon cheeseburger seasoning. Make and vacuum seal in 4 to 6 patties. So easy to take out to and make up.
    Use to use beef ribs trimmed and 20% with 80% venison and this was the best but access to beef ribs has changed. This was the best.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The bacon ends mentioned are cheap really and would be a good addition to the burger mix if you’re going to add bacon. The ends and pieces are generally a little fattier and can be saltier so keep the salt in mind when you cook the burgers….you may not need any additional salt.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.