V193 boat shopping

• andyjohnson

Going to start boat shopping
    Family want some thing to do some water sports with and I just want to go fishing haha.
    My question is with a 200 can I get down to 2.5ish in calm water kinda want to get by with out a kicker.
    What’s everybody’s over all thoughts on this boat thanks

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

With a Mercury and digital gauges you can for sure get under 2.5. Trim tabs can help slow you down or the trolling bags or backward bowmount trick can slow you down.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If you are willing to pull bags you probably can.

Personally I’d find another way though than running a 200hp outboard. Is there a specific reason you are against the kicker? There are some quality used ones out there that will run forever.

mojogunter

With a Mercury and digital gauges you can for sure get under 2.5. Trim tabs can help slow you down or the trolling bags or backward bowmount trick can slow you down.

I have a mercury with the smart gauges and I can’t get under 2.5 MPH. Flat calm I am at 3.0

zooks

Have you thought about a 36V bow mount? That might be a good compromise option RE: cost and performance vs a kicker. I’d probably plan on pulling bags with the big motor otherwise.

andyjohnson

Nothing against a kicker
    Just one more thing to maintain
    I see a lot of 2090’s with 200hp
    I figured that they would be trolling with them and just Curious
    If the v193 would get down to 2.5mph
    Thanks

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Andy if you do alot of trolling get a kicker. No need to put the hours on the big motor and you don’t need to fuss with dragging bags.

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

Conditions are key, flat calm, with the wind, against the wind, all play a major part in what your consistent speed will be.

I had a 193 with a 200 ETEC HO. It would troll at 1.5-3 mph easily.

My 208 will troll at 2-3 mph with a 350 Verado, just use the troll feature on the Smartcraft gauges.

In both cases, if it was a little too fast, I’d either put the Vantage down and run it in reverse, or put in a drift sock. Both are effective, the Vantage is super easy.

Both Evinrude and Mercury claim it doesn’t harm your big motor to troll with them. That’s good enough for me. I didn’t run a kicker for several years for the same reasons as you – added cost, added weight, and added maintenance. Between a good 36V bow mount and the big motor, you can definitely troll without needing a kicker.

I do more trolling lately, and I’m running a kicker now. The biggest reason for adding one is to keep the hours off the big motor, but you also have more precise control of your speed. Other benefits are the backup safety factor and the better resale.

The V193 is a great boat, I really liked mine. Lots of room, lots of storage, dry, and they ride great. The only downside is with the 200HP max rating, they aren’t speed demons. Propped right though, they’re great performers and more than capable of being an excellent crossover fish and family boat. If you’re looking at new boats, and family use is a factor, you might want to check out the 198. The jump seats are super family friendly and the ski pole is a great option.

Waxy

Matt Peterson

With a 36 volt bow mount and decent batteries you should be able to troll in most situations for 7-8 hours at 1.7-2.2 mph. I wouldn’t want to crank up the hour count on my main motor when the bow mount works just fine for 95% of the situations.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

A 2090 with 200 Verado will troll down to 2-2.3 with RPMs dialed down to 550. A 193 should perform similar but you have to enable the trolling mode on the smart craft gauges and dial them down.

A bowmount is another good option. A 36v Terrova and some good 29 or 31 series batteries should last 8 plus hours at 2 mph. Take the main engine out of the water to reduce drag.

Regarding hours-high hours will hurt resale, but tiller guys with the same motor will put 300+ hours on per year.

andyjohnson

Waxy how did you like that etec
    What I want to do is put a tallon on one side and a ladder on the other for the kids. I just would slide the talon off for when we are playing around
    Found this report looks Pretty much what you were saying in your post

Attachments:
    1. 8D4F1704-1B1A-43CD-BEE2-AE1735A55B05.png

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

If you’re planning on fishing big water, I’d put a kicker on there just for peace of mind should your main motor give you trouble. Would be no fun to be stuck out on LOTW or Mille Lacs when the wind picks up.

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

Waxy how did you like that etec
    What I want to do is put a tallon on one side and a ladder on the other for the kids. I just would slide the talon off for when we are playing around
    Found this report looks Pretty much what you were saying in your post

I liked it, I certainly don’t have anything bad to say about it. It was completely trouble free and had plenty of power, the hole shot was great.

My ETEC was a Gen 1 HO, and I think the Gen 2 units are a little stronger and more fuel efficient. I never saw more than 46-47 mph with mine, it was generally a 44-46 mph boat, but I did have it loaded up pretty heavy. I have a friend running one with a Verado 4cyl and he get can get to 50-51 mph, but he put a manual jackplate on it and has messed around a fair bit with props.

I don’t see why your plan with the ladder and Talon won’t work. Sounds like a reasonable idea to me.

Waxy

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Extended trolling with a high horsepower motor may be detrimental to it. Even 4 strokes. a couple of F300 yams have failed due to extended trolling seizing up rings. A kicker gets yu the exact speeds you want, saves hrs on the big motor which is huge on trade in, extra safety, and may prevent costly problems. Worth it to me. Good luck on your purchase. Be sure to look her over real well pre delivery.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I would highly recommend going the kicker if you are a serious troller. Good observations mentioned earlier here, but not everyone uses their boats the same. I rarely use a kicker anymore, but when it is a leadcore bite, I cant imagine not having one .

I believe if you have the opportunity to drive and or fish out of a 193 you will quickly decide for yourself if it is the right model for you.

Good luck & have fun shopping !

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I tow many boats back to a dock each year who have motor problems or are competing for a Darwin award in other regards. They only thing they all have in common… Is NO KICKER.

andyjohnson

Thanks for all the comments really appreciate it
    Would there be another ladder option with a kicker and talon set up?
    My other concern would be the added weight of every thing on the back and keeping the bow mount in the water on windy days. Had a 18’ aluminum boat with a kicker it sat at such an angle with any wind it was always coming out. I ended up selling it and found a Wx2000t love the boat but just not handy for towing kids around. The ropes rub really hard on the vantage and if I just go to one side I’m limited to right turns or I’m rubbing the fiber glass
    Don’t really troll that much anymore but when we do I just don’t want to fight it thanks again

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

Thanks for all the comments really appreciate it
    Would there be another ladder option with a kicker and talon set up?
    My other concern would be the added weight of every thing on the back and keeping the bow mount in the water on windy days. Had a 18’ aluminum boat with a kicker it sat at such an angle with any wind it was always coming out. I ended up selling it and found a Wx2000t love the boat but just not handy for towing kids around. The ropes rub really hard on the vantage and if I just go to one side I’m limited to right turns or I’m rubbing the fiber glass
    Don’t really troll that much anymore but when we do I just don’t want to fight it thanks again

If you don’t have the ski pole option, the rope and float system works OK. I used to just take the Vantage off quickly when I was towing the kids that way. 5 mins spent taking it on and off was worth it. That’s a really good option for you, just take the Vantage off and hang a ladder in that space, even a simple rope ladder would be all it takes.

Now that I have the ski pole and I don’t need to take the Vantage off, I experimented with some options, including one of the portable ladders that hooks over the side. In the end, the kids found the easiest thing to do was just use the big motor and the kicker as ladders and pull themselves out that way. They’re still pretty young, 10 and 12, so it’s easy for them and they’re pretty light, they’re not putting much stress on anything. It’s the least stressful for me too, no chance of one of the ladders scratching the boat.

I wouldn’t worry about the extra weight of the kicker. It won’t affect the 193/198 and how it sits in the water, they always sit nice and flat. I would highly recommend going with a 72″ shaft trolling motor though. The bow on the Warrior is pretty high and has a lot of flare, if you fish a lot in windy conditions, you’ll never regret having that extra foot to keep the prop in the water. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I’d never go back to a 60″ shaft.

Waxy

andyjohnson

Just an up date went for a ride in a V193 with g2 etect 200. they are definitely not the old 2 stroke motors from days past. No smoke or smell.
    It was quiet not as quiet as a 4 stroke but could talk to each other with out any problems at idle.
    I would call conditions calm full tank of gas 3 people topped out at 52mph 5400rpms and was at 2.8-3mph at idle 500rpms. Hole shot was amazing, fly by wire shift was smooth and responsive, power steering was effortless

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.