Useful Electronic Call Features ?

• jwellsy
    Participant

GM is finally starting to get serious about selling out and have several electronic calls left. I’ve never owned one so I’m trying to educate myself before choosing one. There’s a wide price range in these. I’ve watched several YT vids and read lots of Amazon reviews. Right now I’m leaning towards the Foxpro line which seems to be more reliable due to an extremely low number of reported issues compared to Primos.

What audio file format does Foxpro and Primos use? I’d like to have waterfowl, deer, turkey and Halloween sounds on there too.

Other than decoy outputs are there any other features that are really handy/helpful?

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Remote control range and sound quality are key. Don’t judge the sound from 5 feet away. Listen to it when it’s 50-100 feet away and listen to the deeper pitch and clarity.

FoxPro runs a proprietary fx file, but will still load and play most sound files. I have a few different file types on my FoxPro and they all operate great.

Hopefully you’ll never need to send a unit in for service. But if you do, FoxPro tech support is hard to beat

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Very difficult to beat Foxpro, especially if the price is good. Just do your homework because I suspect Foxpro is changing up some models, so there have been good sales elsewhere as well. Know the going rate going in.

One other thing I’ve noticed is that some call models are getting very big, bulky, and heavy. Out west this may be desirable and added volume may be worth it, but in brush country, I wouldn’t want to be weighed down with these huge calls.

The smaller models, IMO, have more than enough volume. I’ve called in crows from a grove over a mile away with my Foxpro Spitfire. You have to keep in mind that what is loud to us, is really, really, really loud to a creature with hearing 5X better than ours.

Grouse

jwellsy
    Participant

Went back to GM and they sold several. The only ones they have left are:
    Primo – TurboDog ($200 retail) for $80
    FoxPro – Jack Daddy ($120) for $48
    Western Rivers – Pursuit ($200) for $80
    FlexTone – Echo ($170) for $68
    Flextone – Mantis Pro unmarked price, 60% off too

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Fox pro or western river waytogo

jwellsy
    Participant

That Western River – Pursuit has pretty good reviews on Amazon at $156. The only negative comment was one guy that erased the files and can’t figure out how to reload them, but that’s not the calls fault. The reviews also said it plays any mp3 and loads just like a thumbdrive.

jwellsy
    Participant

The WR Pursuit came home with me today for $80. Also picked up a decoy, a couple of mouth calls and a Primos red light that mounts on top a scope.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.