URL Friday – Where to Launch?

• PikeFishman
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Newbie URL question here, and please know I’m not looking for your hard earned hotspots.

A buddy and I are making our first ever URL early ice endeavor Friday. I’ve called a couple places (West Wind, JR’s and Rogers) and it seems to be inconsistent fishing reports. For those of you who’ve done early ice, do you recommend the Sour or North end? Feel free to send me a PM if your prefer.

Will anyone else be up there first thing Friday morning? We’re hoping to miss the masses that will likely be showing up on Saturday.

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Send Dbright a message. He was looking to head up there this weekend.

ps0345
    Participant

From what I;ve heard from today. They are allowing wheelers out on the ice and are safe to go about 3 miles out. I’ve also heard the roads are starting to be marked too. From what side I have not heard though.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

South of west wind about a mile there was some open water as of last night. Tyler from bearpaws had it posted on fb.

captddh
    Participant
    Cannon Falls, MN

I like fishing out of Hilmans or Beacon which are both further up from west Wind. Both are angler friendly places. Shiners under bobbers in one hole and a jig or jigging spoon in the other. Evenings are the best usually but this time of year, action can be good anytime. Keep your distance from others,…you’ll catch more fish.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Rogers or the public on the south side. There was a good 7″ of ice today and we had the wheeler out and about with no problems!

PikeFishman
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Thanks everyone.

Ben – how was the fishing?

Travis Swanson
    Participant

I’ve been to Rogers a couple of time and for allowing access and information, along with just plain great people, second to none.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

It was a lot better than the weather. 20 mph sustained winds and light snow made for difficult hole hopping weather. We stayed on our feet and ended up doing alright. Talked to another guy who camped out in his house and had 1 fish. So I guess the hole hopping really paid off.

No rocket surgery involved, shoreline break in 7-9 fow. Keep moving along the break until you run into them.

PikeFishman
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Anyone else heading up tomorrow to fish?

muskiefever
    Participant
    North Metro

This guy is. I’m all fired up!

zab.jr
    Participant
    Winona, Mn

&I’m heading up there in February can’t wait.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.