Upside down 2 stroke

• patk
    Nisswa, MN

Does anyone know if turning an 8hp 2 stroke upside down will cause issues? Does it matter if it’s for a shorter duration such as an hour to make a portage?

Since there isn’t oil inside on a 2 stroke I’m guessing it might be okay want wanted to check in first.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Does anyone know if turning an 8hp 2 stroke upside down will cause issues? Does it matter if it’s for a shorter duration such as an hour to make a portage?

Since there isn’t oil inside on a 2 stroke I’m guessing it might be okay want wanted to check in first.

We don’t portage “upside down” but every other angle with no issues. Maybe some slight gas leak out the carb but I wouldn’t worry about it, IMO.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

You shouldn’t have any problems with this. not that I have tried it but for the reasons you say I would agree it would be fine.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Running the carb dry will reduce flooding.
    The only other thing that could go wrong is if any of the upper drive shaft seals leak and let some oil out of the LU into the leg. However, this “should” not be an issuer if you are not getting water into the LU oil.

I would not hesitate, just make sure it is clamped on well and tilt locks well too.

Deuces

Turning anything upside down one needs to be careful what comes out the exhaust port

mike e

Make sure all water is out as any left in the exhaust passage can flow back to the powerhead.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Thanks guys! Got a tip about using an external frame backpack to portage small motors. Might give it a try.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Thanks guys! Got a tip about using an external frame backpack to portage small motors. Might give it a try.

You’re going to have to post a pic of that setup.

I simply secure a backpack strap to my motor and carry it that way (with a foam noddle for comfort).

patk
    Nisswa, MN

@clowncolor here’s a link to the backpack motor portage

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.