Updating my bird

• chappy
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

When I put my SD card in, nothing is happening. The card has the files on it. Any ideas?

David Anderson
    Participant
    Dayton, MN

When I put my SD card in, nothing is happening. The card has the files on it. Any ideas?

Is it in the locked position? Maybe your adaptor is bad, I have had a few bad ones.

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

Maximum of a 32 gig card. Did you do a format on the card prior to pasting the files on it? PC not Mac.

First find your unit on here.
    Humminbird Support

The following is from the Birds website.
    Instructions
    Please read carefully before proceeding.

We highly recommend that you RESTORE the defaults on your unit BEFORE you perform any software update.

How to Restore Defaults:

With the unit powered on, Press the MENU button twice to the main menu on the system. Then you press the RIGHT cursor until you get to the SETUP menu tab. Once you have reached the SETUP menu tab, use the DOWN cursor until you reach RESTORE DEFAULTS, you will then press the RIGHT cursor key to restore the defaults. To confirm press RIGHT cursor again.

To update with an SD CARD

After thoroughly reading these instructions, you can return to the Download dialogue box and click on Download. The software files are in a .bin format. You will not be able to open these files, they should only be saved.
    You will need to select to save this file to the SD Card. (The SD card may be listed as a removable disk, removable storage drive, SD). Do not modify the name of the file, then click on SAVE.
    After the Download Complete dialog box appears – click CLOSE
    Remove the SD Card from the card reader. After removing the SD card from the reader and before powering on the unit, we recommend that you disconnect any Advanced Accessories connected to the unit. This might include a GPS receiver, Interlink, Cannonlink, etc. Also remove any SD or micro cards already inserted on your unit.
    POWER ON YOUR UNIT, allow the unit to go through the complete start up BEFORE pressing any buttons or selecting any menu options. After the unit has completed the loading process and you have clicked through the warnings and information, place the SD card in the unit.
    You will get a message on the unit saying SOFTWARE NUMBER “123” is higher than your current “120” software do you want to update?, Press the Right Cursor to Confirm.
    Another message will then appear saying do you want to ABORT, press the Left Cursor to NO at this time and the software update will begin. DO NOT POWER OFF THE UNIT DURING THIS TIME. If you lose power to the unit during the software upgrade process, it is very likely that the unit will need to be returned to the factory for updating.
    Once the update is complete the unit will restart and say current SOFTWARE NUMBER “123” installed, no update required. It is now safe to remove the SD Card, and power off the unit.

Click here to view a short video on this subject

Download Software

chappy
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

No idea how to check that..

JasonP
    Participant
    Twin Cities

what model are you updating?

Umy
    Participant
    South Metro

I had the same problem 2 months ago. Helix 12″ CHIRP DI GPS
    Two new cards, talked to their support – I just let it go.
    It works great without it – someone on here echoed my sentiment in another thread – “if it ain’t broke, dont fix it”

chappy
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

Had to add the unit upgrade 1st then the base map update… good to go…9,10,12 helix has to do the base map. AFTER the init update.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.